The Lidl plunge saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, been down and picked one up this evening. Still plenty left in my store here in Weymouth Dorset if anyone lives near here.

Jon the Bodger":l4gfqwx9 said:
I managed to get a Parkside plunge/track saw from LIDL today, after missing out last year. 6 of them at the Welwyn Garden City branch when I dropped in at 10:00. £10 more this year but still looks a bargain at £69.99.

There are no track clamps but as it is a rebadged Scheppach PL5 I could get a pair of Scheppach clamps for it, although these have just plain screws. However, for less money I could get some much better quick adjust Festool or Makita clamps, if they fit. Anyone tried Festool or Makita clamps with this saw track?

The head of the T slot for the clamps on the Parkside track is 12 mm wide, 6.3 mm deep and the entrance is 9 mm wide.

its not a rebaged Scheppach, i have 4 track saws, including the lidl and a Scheppach. not sure whos making it but i doubt it is Scheppach its certainly not a rebadge as its very different in construction

Alexfn":idrii95b said:
Jon the Bodger":idrii95b said:
........................but as it is a rebadged Scheppach PL5 ..............................

its not a rebaged Scheppach, i have 4 track saws, including the lidl and a Scheppach. not sure whos making it but i doubt it is Scheppach its certainly not a rebadge as its very different in construction

Yes, my mistake. I was thinking of the Aldi Plunge saw that looks just like the Scheppach.

They are back in NI today, but a tenner more than I paid for mine.

Still a bargain I reckon.

Picked up this track saw last week. I couldn’t justify a premium price saw but for £69.99 with 2 x 700mm tracks this is worth a try. I’ve made saw guides (just a base and a straight edge) for an old Skil saw and a Ryobi cordless circular saw. First impressions are this is much better.

Only criticism is that the track has only one joining piece, this is enough to keep the track from moving when it’s being using for a cut but I was nervous moving the track with only one jointer bar and kept re-checking that it was straight. There is a substantial lip at the outer edge of the track, an easy job to slide a bar in and mark it for a couple of screws. I used the centre bar from an old door handle, a perfect sliding fit.
inside.jpg

There is plenty of clearance between the outer lip edge and the edge of the saw.
clearance.jpg

As mentioned the t-track underneath takes Festool / Makita clamps.
clamp.jpg

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5,867
  • clearance.jpg
    clearance.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 5,866
  • clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5,868
I bought one as well and fitted it with a diamond blade for cutting stone. Only made a test cut on some limestone but first impressions are good.

Re What's the play like, is it

Much Ado About Nothing
All's Well That Ends Well
A Comedy of Errors
A Midsummer Night's Dream
As You Like It

Well someone has to ask?

jim_hanna":1minaxoa said:
Only criticism is that the track has only one joining piece, this is enough to keep the track from moving when it’s being using for a cut but I was nervous moving the track with only one jointer bar and kept re-checking that it was straight. There is a substantial lip at the outer edge of the track, an easy job to slide a bar in and mark it for a couple of screws. I used the centre bar from an old door handle, a perfect sliding fit.

Thanks for that useful tip, just yesterday, for the first time after many months of use, I noticed the cut had a noticeable curve and I had to tighten up the join and redo it.

Will implement your fix. asa

I don't know if it is of interest to anyone, but a friend bought the track saw, and found that the track was not long enough for his purpose. He 'phoned Lidl and asked if it was possible to buy an extra track alone, and they said Yes, but he needed to contact the manufacturer and gave him their number. He 'phoned, and was told that if he paid in advance he could have the track for a total of £14 inc, delivery. HTH!

Limey Lurker":3ncrs2i3 said:
He 'phoned, and was told that if he paid in advance he could have the track for a total of £14 inc, delivery. HTH!

Do you happen to have the number.?

Just out of curiosity what other option is there other than paying in advance.?

artie":9x47uazj said:
jim_hanna":9x47uazj said:
As mentioned the t-track underneath takes Festool / Makita clamps.

Didn't you get clamps supplied.?

The saw didn’t come with clamps, no mention of them in the contents list so if it was supplied with clamps in the past then they’ve left them out to cut costs.

A lot of comment online says that the rubber strips on the tracks are sufficient to keep a track saw from shifting. The current #255 July/ August 16 issue of Fine Woodworking has a test of track saws. The online extra video shows a simple crosscut table using a track saw. (at Finewoodworking.com/extras “Videos are free to view for three months after publication of the related article in the magazine. After that they will become premium content for FineWoodworking.com subscribers only.”)

Not an MFT but an easy and simple way to cut square without measuring every time. It needs clamps and the Axminster Festool clamps are a bit pricey. No problem I thought, I’ll cut down a couple of cheap G clamps. First one was easily done, the second just broke without warning as I cut it. Then I found that the Festool clamps are half the price on ebay.
diyclamp.jpg

In the FineWoodworking tests all the saws seem to have a cut-out in the blade guard to allow access for blade changing except for the Mafell saw which has a flip-out plate for blade changes. The Mafell which doesn’t have the cut-out was mentioned as having the best dust collection. A plastic cover taped over the cut-out on the Lidl saw seemed to improve dust collection and didn’t seem to be affecting the motor ventilation. With other circular saws connected to my B&Q hoover I always had dust everywhere, the track saw is very clean by comparison.
dust collect.jpg

Attachments

• diyclamp.jpg
    diyclamp.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 5,638
  • dust collect.jpg
    dust collect.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5,636
Could someone refresh my memory.?
To remove the blade does "one" turn clockwise or anti clock. ?

I'll blame it on a sub standard allen key, but I managed to fubar the bolt which holds the saw to the blade.
After much trouble I removed it and wanting to forestall future problems sought a replacement.

Long story short, they come in packs of five. So if anyone fells the need for one pm your address and postie will bring it to you.

They are indeed very soft, I had to drill mine out after a kickback tightened the grip on the blade, left handed drill did the job , I actually put a set screw (bolt with no plain shank) in to replace it , - not clever as there is not much clearance..

artie":fx00mcsi said:
I'll blame it on a sub standard allen key, but I managed to fubar the bolt which holds the saw to the blade.
After much trouble I removed it and wanting to forestall future problems sought a replacement.

Long story short, they come in packs of five. So if anyone fells the need for one pm your address and postie will bring it to you.
PM sent, thanks!!

I also taped a piece of clear plastic over the gap on the side and dust collection improved.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back