The Axminster AC216TS thread - impressions and tips etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
This TS200 replacement (kind of) is now available to order, so I thought I'd start a thread for new user's impressions etc.

Just looking at the manual (which is now on the site) a few things stand out...

[The mitre fence slot thingy is now optional and you don't get one at all - the first saw I think to do that. The throw-in ones are always bad, but the optional one doesn't look that great either.

The motor/blade assembly and the way it attaches to the table looks a big step up from the TS200/250.

Blade changes look easier with a locking bar provided that stabilises the arbour whilst tightening/loosening bolt.
Depth of cut goes from 55mm (TS200) to 65mm.

There aren't any bolts on the table top anymore, which is good, but it is unclear how the blade/motor unit can be aligned to the mitre slots...

I like the out-feed and right side extension table idea, but unfortunately they use the same pressed steel style extensions as the TS200 - and they are horrible, so no doubt owners will be replacing them and keeping the fixings...

I think I will order mine within the next few weeks.

Cordy":2lau2eed said:
1,100W 230V 1ph induction motor :)
Same as the TS200. It's fine for this depth of cut TBH. If you're regularly ripping white oak at full depth it might get tedious, but for most use cases it is good enough.

I nearly ordered one earlier today, but was put off by the riving knife / blade guard assembly not supporting dado-like cuts. Fancied making a crosscut sled and cutting grooves with it, but now I'm not sure.

Sleepy":3xbbrjm9 said:
I nearly ordered one earlier today, but was put off by the riving knife / blade guard assembly not supporting dado-like cuts. Fancied making a crosscut sled and cutting grooves with it, but now I'm not sure.
No blade guard (other than some sort of overhead SUVA custom setup) is going to let you create dado cuts.

The original TS200 came out the box with the riving knife at the same height as the top of the blade, so if you wanted to do that, you had to file a bit off the top. By the look of the manual it looks like there is some more adjustment on the knife, so it might actually be easier.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I'd be worried about modifying the riving knife to allow dado cuts with such a new saw. I imagine that would void any warranty. Point taken about it being possible though.

Sleepy":21ie45mf said:
I'd be worried about modifying the riving knife to allow dado cuts with such a new saw. I imagine that would void any warranty. Point taken about it being possible though.
You should read the TS200 and TS250 modifications/improvements thread. I think most woodworkers like to tinker.

I'm holding out for one too. Just waiting on reviews.

I was expecting them to have an extension kit though. So that you can have an extension wing on either side, or two wings on one side, with the fence rail extending the full width.

Just ordered mine this morning, so I will take my chances with the first batch. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend. As long as it improves in the TS200 I'll be happy.

Mine arrived today, I'll post a video later, but first impressions are good. Some significant improvements over the TS200 where it matters, and the table is flat enough (M_Chavez reported a warped top with his).

Bodgers":2505uko0 said:
Mine arrived today, I'll post a video later, but first impressions are good. Some significant improvements over the TS200 where it matters, and the table is flat enough (M_Chavez reported a warped top with his).

hurrrrrrrry uuuuppppppp :D

Glad your table turned out fine. Here's a photo of mine. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_20190214_001440.jpg
    IMG_20190214_001440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,763
Yeah that's bad, mine is nowhere near that bad. You are across to throat plate area though - is it still like that if you avoid that area?

I haven't actually tried it at a diagonal. Only at right angles in various places.

I will try that.

I have a video currently rending that may show this better, but here are two photos showing the two main planes...

As you can see in the long plane (2nd photo) there is a very small drop off...it is tiny though

f086cf46a92a1f3e6ab5763e911bb4ca.jpg
f15ee4967b2ddc43e577332113aca257.jpg

It would be good to see a close up of the fence in action. How sturdy is it? is it the sort of fence you can add tenon jigs to or perhaps not heavy duty enough?

transatlantic":32x94jsn said:
It would be good to see a close up of the fence in action. How sturdy is it? is it the sort of fence you can add tenon jigs to or perhaps not heavy duty enough?
I will do another video in a few weeks once I've put it into work. I have lots of hardwood strips to cut for edging on a large built-in I am building, so that will be a good test

I haven't had time to complete the setup on it today. I have looked at the fence from the box and it much improved over the pre 2015 TS200 and say the clones such as the Draper - those have the screw clamp lock down which is terrible for repeatability. This one has a wider clamp and is a cam style clamp. The rail doesn't look as substantial as the mk2 TS200 though, for some reason.

The fence itself is a two piece setup (running the full length of the table) with the main section having a slot running through it, so you could attach things to that I assume. The second piece of the fence, which attaches by this slot, can be use in two modes, one for narrow strips and one for taller stuff. Once I start using it I can tell you if it is any good.

I note the TS200 is now gone from the Axy site, so it is officially dead. It means this is officially the TS200 replacement with a substantial price hike. I expect the TS250 will be next...

I finally managd to get into Axminster for a play with the saw today. First impressions are that it’s quite a nice bit of kit but a shame the side extension is pressed steel rather than cast iron, - it’s bound to add to noise levels and just gives a cheaper feel but I guess they’re trying to keep the price down.

Fence felt very secure considering it’s a clamp at the front job. Rise and fall & blade angle both felt smooth although the lock on the blade angle didn’t lock very well and I suspect the blade might move in use (hopefully just the shop one as it’s been played with a fair bit?). Riving knife is taller than the blade so anyone wanting to rebate on the saw will need to either modify or buy a spare.

Overall quite nice and with a decent blade I suspect a decent little saw. I need to decide fairly soon what I’m going to do and this one is definitely a contender.

I think compared to the Charnwood this is a better saw but for a comparible package (sliding table etc) it is more expensive.

Back