Boiler insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
Just got the renewal statement for our condescending gas boiler insurance from D and G.
It costs us around £32 a month, including the annual service.
I've no complaints about the chaps who come to fix things, as a rule. They seem friendly and efficent, but it seems expensive - way more than my car insurance.
Also, on the latest paperwork, they say that, in the event that they can't fix the boiler, they'll replace it up to the cost of £750. Not sure how much boiler £750 buys these days...

So does that sound expensive to you?
Any suggestions as to a cheaper alternative?
The boiler is a Potterton Gold Combi 28 HE, by the way, and the only thing that seems to go wrong(since I fitted a magnetic filter a few years back) is the diverter valve, which does seem to be a weak link.

Its a rip off.
When you buy a new boiler you get 3 years warranty.
If you pay 32 a month for 3 years (pause while he gets his calculator out) youve paid £1152 to cover the cost of a 700 quid boiler.

Buy a Baxi, Vailent, or the newest with a good reputation, Wolf. Pay NOTHING in insurance or warranty.
new boilers are amazingly reliable. I had a baxi fitted three years ago, nobody has gone near it since, everything is fine (and I have almost 30 years experience with gas appliances, so I speak with straight tongue kimosabee). :shock:

Thanks, but I'm not looking to buy a new boiler. My existing one works just fine(and is is, in effect a Baxi - Potterton/Baxi - I think they're the same company these days. Apart from that, we may not be in this house for a year, let alone three.
I used to do all the repairs, until I found out I wasn't qualified to do "gas-side" stuff. Now I know that, I'm not prepared to take the risk.

Youre correct, without the relevant gas certificate for domestic gas water heaters you are breaking the law if you do anything to any part that involves tools. (removing the cover and blowing the dust off the burner doesnt count though)
If you own the house, there is no need for an annual inspection. If you have another visit booked, wait around and watch the men. See if they actually do any work, or just take it apart, flick a brush over the burner (which will not be dirty) drink a few cups of tea, and put it all back together again.

If you have a part that mysteriously goes wrong often, do you actually get any symptoms before the guy gets there?

Everybody has to make a living, but 32 a month insurance is daylight robbery.

Hi i would check what your insurance is actually for. Does it include all parts of the CH system, feeds, valves and rads. Some policies will also include any element of the domestic water supply in the house as well as toilets and blockages.

typically it would only be about £18 for a combi 24kw, but it is always geared around the age of the boilers. My mother has just done a full pipes, toilet, service, rads etc with BG for £18, boiler has to be accessed, 2 mins for any known faults etc. Excess is £60 per call out excluding service

I always think any of those insurance schemes are a scam.

You are better setting the money aside and using it as and when needed.

An acquaintance years ago noted the price every time he was offered insurance for anything from white goods and TV/HiFi to photographic gear (he was a photography lecturer) and put the money in his safe every month. When something went wrong the bill was paid out of that fund and ever couple of years he put the surplus in the bank. :D

Rorschach":3gbghpll said:

in some ways I agree. The problem I found, in the past, was that you'd call a plumber, they'd come round, diagnose the fault(that I'd usually diagnosed correctly anyway), then have to order the part and come back in a week. The big boys that D an G use nearly always have the parts on the van.

Garno":1tprzjck said:
https://www.uswitch.com/boiler-cover/application/results/

This is from Uswitch so is slightly dearer than getting it direct.
Just change the postcode to your one.
Sit down,
Look at how cheap it is.
Come back here and tell me I'm great.My Mrs will not say that today as I forgot her valentines day card, (hammer)

You are great.
And don't worry, I sent your wife a card.

I've found a much cheaper deal, now I have to call my current insurer, and see if they'll match it.
Just like we have to do every year for car insurance, utilities, broadband etc. Effing waste of time..

Anyway, thanks for responses.

John Brown":26bt2qeo said:
Rorschach":26bt2qeo said:

in some ways I agree. The problem I found, in the past, was that you'd call a plumber, they'd come round, diagnose the fault(that I'd usually diagnosed correctly anyway), then have to order the part and come back in a week. The big boys that D an G use nearly always have the parts on the van.

You are using the wrong plumbers then. A good one would get the part same day if it's a common item or next day if not. If they are making you wait a week you need to find a new plumber.

My boiler broke recently - I called the manufacturer and they offered a fixed price repair plus a year of cover for £300. They were with me in 3 or 4 days. Worth considering as an alternative.

Back