Axminster auctions and final price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooose

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been watching a couple of the Axminster auctions with interest and have been noting that they often reach 80% or more of the new price despite only having a 3-month warranty and sometimes light scratches etc (what I would call used)

Is this normal?

I will openly admit I was looking in the hope of finding a good deal but I am fairly surprised that someone is willing to spend that much with only three months cover. Often on something that has already been returned and repaired.

Yep, people go crazy on them. I have seen the odd item go for the full price, sometimes a little more!

I paid about £400 for a £700 Linisher from their eBay outlet shop. As you say it only had a 3-month warranty but for £300 knocked off the price and whatever would've inevitably gone wrong had already been fixed, it seemed a pretty good deal for what was pretty much a new machine.

I bought a larger item from Axminster outlet recently. Paid probably 70% of original price but comes with a year warranty and free transport. I considered that worthwhile as I couldn’t find similar condition / price on auction sites.

ebay can be a strange place. Thing that bewilders me is those who allow 'best offers' then reject all offers even when within a penny of the BIN price!

Yes Moose. It seems to be pretty normal and I agree with you, lots of items sell for more than this tight so n so would be willing to pay. There are odd lots that seem less popular and probably offer a great deal to the right buyer.

Mooose":jmbfkvyq said:
To be fair you can not fault Axminster - they are doing the best returning items to service rather than letting them join the scrapheap.
From the business perspective it appears to make sense, but they used to sell a lot of returned items in their stores, at very good prices. I frequently used to drop in on the off-chance of finding a bargain that I suddenly realised I "needed" - and then walked away with a collection of assorted bits and bobs from a wander around the store.
Effectively, these items were acting as loss leaders and enticing me into the store to give them my money - a good use of very expensive floor space I would have thought. I wonder if anyone has correlated footfall with the move to eBay?
Duncan

The reason they use Ebay is because people get giddy and bid silly.
I've seen used items sell for more than brand new prices then ebay take their grubby share.

Back