Drilling Balsa Dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68joe

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to turn some 16mm Balsa Dowel. I only have a mini lathe, and want to mount the dowel between the chucks on 2mm rod. The dowel is 125mm long. I can find the centre at each end, but when i drill from both ends, the drill follows the grain, so i cant push the rod through the centre. I need to turn the balsa to 12mm(fishing floats). Any help much appreciated. Joe

balsa floats are usually one piece and tapered/shaped to the desired style, and the bottom of the float has some type of eye epoxied to it, when turning the balsa use a course paper 40/60 grit to get the shape then use finer grades to get it super smooth and ready for a coat of paint,

Thanks but i am struggling to mount the balsa, & drill a hole centrally all the way through the dowel. Its a particular type of float without an eye at the end. It has a 200mm x 1.5mm carbon stem that glues in one end

Is the rod or the hole it goes through part of the float design or just to help mount it in the lathe?
If its the latter glue a small piece in each end of your (slightly longer) blank , shape float and then cut the ends off.

I would try a wider dowel (if necessary) drill through slowly from one end with a long drill bit, removing frequently to get rid of the waste and not worry about the drill bit exiting in the centre, then mount the dowel using the holes and shape back down to round etc.
That being said, a 2mm drill bit is going to be a tad flexible so you may be on to a losing battle.
Heres a long bit if you fancy giving it a try.
https://cpc.farnell.com/linear-tools/20 ... dp/TL04543

I know how you feel if you got no chucks.
Have you got a pillar drill for use with a corner jig?... i.e
Two short lengths of timber close to the height of the dowels length, standing on edge and fixed 90 degrees, so the timber cannot wander off square.

Tom

could you split it lengthwise down the middle, make a groove, glue back together then drill it ? ian

Tried the pillar drill & corner jig, but the thinness of the 1.5mm extra long dtill bit follows the grain & runs off line.

williams1185":2woqnjwq said:
could you split it lengthwise down the middle, make a groove, glue back together then drill it ? ian

I think that's the route I'd take. (except you wouldn't need to drill it at all.) Start with rectangular section wood instead of dowel and you wouldn't need to split anything.

I’ve turned a fair few balsa floats on my lathe over the years, and the ones that needed a hole or pipe through it, like a sea slider type, I’ve always made by using two pieces as has been suggested and then gluing them together again. Even Avon type floats can be made this way by either splitting a big piece or using two smaller pieces, making a groove down the centre of each and gluing a kebab stick in the groove, and the two halves together.

Back