A bed for my son

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking of making a bed for my son. Something to show him how much I love him. Something special.

This clip is from Samurai Carpenter who is making a bed for his boy.
https://samuraicarpenter.com/a-bed-for-my-boy/

He is using router and circular saw and so but I intend to do everything by hand.

I am struggling to find the timbers for this bed.

I appreciate advice from any of the members on the timber choice and where to buy them from.

Thank you in advance

Saeid

That is one very heavy bed! I think you would have to find a sawmill if you wanted to copy that design and to do it all by hand would be a labour of love. Good luck but I would be looking for a lot lighter design.

When our kids were very young I made them bunk beds that were designed for a 2'6" mattress but adapted them to take a 3'0" mattress. They were great until we moved house and wouldn't go through the door opening :oops:

Regards Keith

I agree with Keith. That's an incredibly heavy design, and having a solid platform where the mattress sits won't allow the mattress to breathe, plus there is so much timber in it that it will cost a lot just in raw materials.

It's a great idea to make furniture for your kids, but I think there are better designs to use.

Good luck!

The bed is done and I am posting a photo here.

Attachments

• 5FD3C6E8-C463-4436-A28C-023F48380F28.jpeg
    5FD3C6E8-C463-4436-A28C-023F48380F28.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 466
looks good from what I can see, nice to see solid wood used, what species is it?

thetyreman":ahboxta9 said:
looks good from what I can see, nice to see solid wood used, what species is it?

It is Tulipwood. Main frame is joined with through mortise with hidden dovetail, secured with wedges.

Back