Makita track saw SP6000j1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided I need a track saw rather than the home made version I use with my circular saw, mostly used to break down sheet materials but would look at other uses.

I don't want to spend as much as a Festool will cost, however much I might be encouraged by other members to do so. Neither do I want a bottom end machine I won't be happy with so have done a bit of research the one that interests me most is the Makita SP6000j1
Axi have it including 2 tracks at £349 though I can't see a track bag included but would see if room for negotiation or may be around at other suppliers cheaper.

Any thoughts from current users? I've done a search but all I can find are several years old.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-sp60 ... r-ax656310

I’ve got one and like it a lot. I only use it for wide cross-cuts on sheet goods though (I think that’s what track saws are best for) so I’m not an advanced user. It’s also the only track saw I’ve owned and used. I do use it with an MFT style top and it’s very accurate. It’s also got lots of power, soft start and very good dust extraction. Even the blade that comes with it is pretty good. One last thing that marks it out as different and preferable for me (although maybe not for you); it’s made in the UK.

memzey":1xb15jli said:
...... One last thing that marks it out as different and preferable for me (although maybe not for you); it’s made in the UK.

Well,....You live & learn. I didn't realise Makita manufactured anything here in the UK.....

They do a few items - one of my Makita sanders is made here too, IIRC.

On topic, I too have a SP6000(k) and like it.

The only two issues have been that the 3m rail I have isn't straight (enough for me), and that the original rails I have are marginally different dimensions to the 3m rail so joining them is tricky. I think all the recent stuff should be fine though (i.e. buying new or nearly so). And it doesn't have a riving knife, so don't get silly with it.

But it does have anti-tipping and a scoring cut function (use this backwards!), both of which I have found really useful.

Get rail clamps (Festool ones were cheaper when I last looked - any that fit will do). You won't regret it.

In the Systainer mine came with, there is a place for the clamps and spare blades under the saw.

HTH, E.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I have several bits of Makita kit and always been happy with them.

I just assumed that clamps came supplied Eric so a bit surprised by that.

I had read it was made in the UK Memzey and regard that as a plus as well

Good man. I have a sander and a jigsaw that is also UK made Makita and I believe their top end mitre saws are made here too. Their plant is up in Telford I believe and European HQ in Milton Keynes.

I’d suggest you go for the cordless option Bob, I’ve been using a corded Festool TS55 for years but bought the cordless Mafell MT55 a year ago, the Festool doesn’t get a look in these days so much more convenient & no more snagging the power lead on the end of the track :evil:

The vacuum hose snagging is the most annoying part of track saw use I find. I’d love to hear of a way to avoid it happening.

Lons":9f9re569 said:
I've decided I need a track saw rather than the home made version I use with my circular saw, mostly used to break down sheet materials but would look at other uses.

I don't want to spend as much as a Festool will cost, however much I might be encouraged by other members to do so. Neither do I want a bottom end machine I won't be happy with so have done a bit of research the one that interests me most is the Makita SP6000j1
Axi have it including 2 tracks at £349 though I can't see a track bag included but would see if room for negotiation or may be around at other suppliers cheaper.

Any thoughts from current users? I've done a search but all I can find are several years old.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-sp60 ... r-ax656310

I have quite a bit of Makita stuff and was tempted by the Makita tracksaw, but the thing that put me off the Makita was the fact it has no riving knife, when pretty much all the others do. I read some bad experiences about the tracks arriving damaged as well.

I have the Dewalt tracksaw, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I got the Makita saw package last year from Axi in Warrington, I thought it would be better to pick it up in store as I was afraid the rails might get bent if they were sent by courier, when I got home I found that the sole of the saw wasn't straight (it wobbled on a flat surface) and both the rails were cupped.
I returned to Axminster and had to get the whole set replaced, just check in case you buy it in store...

Cheers!

Ferenc

Thanks Ferenc

Got home 30 minutes ago from Axi complete with saw package and a couple of track clamps they did a deal on. Haven't yet had time to check anything so hopefully will do so later today

mynamehere":2875q66g said:
I got the Makita saw package last year from Axi in Warrington, I thought it would be better to pick it up in store as I was afraid the rails might get bent if they were sent by courier, when I got home I found that the sole of the saw wasn't straight (it wobbled on a flat surface) and both the rails were cupped.
I returned to Axminster and had to get the whole set replaced, just check in case you buy it in store...

Cheers!

Ferenc

Yeah, I read a lot of this kind of report on the Makita saw. Put me off.

Didn't get time to cut anything but thoroughly checked over and looks ok so far, will be a few days before I can test it properly.

Interestingly though I had a long conversation with the Axminster guy who I've dealt with a number of times since the store opened and we were discussing the various saws they had on show, Festool, DeWalt, Bosch, He told me that in the time they've been selling the Makita he hasn't seen one come back while in comparison there have been issues with a number of the small Festool saw. It was out of my price range anyway though I have to admit it was beautifully engineered.

Hopefully I'm lucky enough to get a goodun. :)

Good luck with your saw, other than me having to return the first one it is a nice piece of kit.
I got the kickback stop from Festool (it's only cheap) which clamps onto the rail after a bit of filing and the adapter for use with a router, this has come in handy a couple of times.

Have fun!

Ferenc

I'll have a look at those Ferenc.
It had crossed my mind to make a router adapter myself. I looked at the GRS square guide while waiting for the Axi guys to agree a deal and it looked exceptionally well made but hugely expensive, am going to have a go at making something when I get time.

I have the SP6000J, also. Good saw in general.

A few points:

The tracks are good by themselves, but joined together it is easy to introduce a small deflection. Use a known straight edge as a reference when joining.

I've also had the wobbly sole plate thing. There are allen head grub screws on the bottom for adjusting this, though. Not a problem now.

Take the outer shell of the blade housing off from time to time to clean it. If your cutting plywood regularly, the fine dust builds up around the internal strengthening ribs due to the glue between the plys. Also, the first time you do this, you'll notice there's no seal around the extraction outlet. A bit of electrical tape sorts this out.

The supplied blade is very good. When it came to replacing it, I went for an Axcalibre thin kerf 52T blade. To be honest, the cut is no better but there is less wastage and, therefore, less dust to extract.

The first thing I cut with it after buying, was some mahogany which it sailed through. The cut was very smooth, almost like it had been planed, with very little burnishing.

Overall, very happy with it. Especially given it's price in comparison with the black and green variety, and also the Bosch one.

Gary.

Edit: Before I bought it, I was talking to the bloke at Axminster, who said get the Makita one (I was leaning that way anyway). I asked why, and he said that people keep bringing the Festool ones back for one reason or another, and that there was nothing between the Makita one and the Bosch one except price. The Makita being £100 cheaper for the saw and £10 cheaper for individual track lengths.

They also do a router attachment, although at £30 it's a bit pricey for a bit of plastic and two steel rods.

Thanks Gary
I haven't cut much with it yet but happy enough and will watch for the dust build up, appreciate the tip.
One question about changing to a thinner blade though, does that not affect the rubber splinter strip that would have been trimmed to the thicker blade?

I've been looking at whether I'd use a router attachment but I have 3 different routers, it doesn't look to difficult to make one up with some SRBP sheet.

You must have bought from the same salesman as me at Axi North Shields as he said several Festool saws had been returned. :) Can't remember his name but I've bought a few things from him.

Bob

I've been using mine for a couple of months now and I love it. I can honestly say I'm now a track saw convert!

I found the supplied blade very good but a couple of laminate flooring jobs (notoriously hard on blades) have taken the edge off it now. I gave mine a clean with oven cleaner after the first job which does give it a new (albeit shorter) lease of life.

I have also bought a Freud twin pack (cross and rip cut) pack and I cant recommend this enough, £37 for two blades which eat solid doors for breakfast!

I have butchered a section of Titan wet/dry vacuum pipe to make it a tight push fit into the extraction nozzle on the saw, which gives me pretty good dust collection. This can be a bit clumsy however but that is due to the flexibility of the hose and not the saw.

All in all, I would (and have) recommended the Makita track saw to friends and will certainly buy another when this one wears out.

Back