Hedgehog house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advice I’d read from the Hedgehog Society whatever, is not to put food in the shelter as it will attract other animals especially rats.

I was feeding a hedgehog in late autumn but it disappeared before I could make it a house.

Rod

I have a large bonfire which I can't light at the minute as I know there are hedgehogs and maybe other animals in there and by the time they move out the birds will be nesting again. At this rate by the time I can burn it I'll be too old and frail to get to it. :( #-o

Harbo":up4dcyrj said:
The advice I’d read from the Hedgehog Society whatever, is not to put food in the shelter as it will attract other animals especially rats.

Oh... I fear that might have happened here. To increase likelihood of capturing Mrs Tiggy (what my mum's named the hog!) I've set the camera to only be active between 5pm and 8am. Without this time bracket you end up scrolling through 8000 images of birds and squirrels.

Last inspection of SD card a couple of weeks ago, showed one dog, a revisiting mouse, 3 different cats (one with his head right up the tunnel) but no hedgehog.

I can only think the hog's either inside (cant see from window) or as I fear, there's too much activity from other animals and it's left for a quieter neighborhood :(

Harbo":yymhe5o1 said:
I was feeding a hedgehog in late autumn but it disappeared before I could make it a house.

Rod
We had a 'hog in our garden a couple of years ago and I made it a "Hog House", haven't seen the begger since!!! :evil:

The same happened to us. We had a regular visitor three years ago so I made a house for it and that seemed to scare it off. There's been no sign of it since.

I wish I'd read the advice about food. This house had a dining room. After a few days the foil container had been dragged out of the house and I'm sure it was a rat that gorged on the food :-(

HogsRest.jpg

Wow! That is a stunning house. =D>

Is that a slide out feeding drawer near the window?

They're ungrateful little pippers aren't they? :wink:

Thanks OscarG

Yes, the 'dining room' had a pull out floor to add food and a window to check if it needed replacing. But the wrong b*****s were scoffing the food so it's now redundant. Well, the whole thing seems to be a white elephant so far.

If you build it, they don't always come! - well not straight away, maybe next year!

MikeG.":xfobpz25 said:
Nice, Oscar, but if I put one of those out around here rats would move in.

That's exactly what happened with the one I put out some years ago.

Hedgehog have very soft feet so it is recommended that you line the ramp and entire interior with soft material.

Latest posts

Back