Chuck info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyc

Established Member
Reaction score
So, taday I became the proud owner of a Viceroy “educator” wood lathe and am bound to have a thousand questions.....
First one is going to be about a chuck that came with it. To my mind it is an engineering chuck which has two sets of “jaws”. My question is can this four jaw chuck be turned into a chuck that that carries a set of more familiar Woodturning jaws or am I wasting my time and should just get it on eBay to get a pound on it to get me a right chuck.....
I look forward to replies....

A photo of the chuck would be useful. You say it is a four jaw chuck, that’s not a problem as woodturning chucks have four jaws, it just depends whether they are for wood or metal.

Dave

Hi there.
Thanks for the reply. I might figure out how to get a pic on tomorrow but to my mind the jaws are for metalwork. I might be totally barking up the wrong tree but I was kinda wondering if I can swop out the metal turning jaws for some wood ones. It is definitely a self centering scroll chuck.....
Cheers.

If the jaws are stepped, ie look like stairs, then they are engineering jaws. They will grip enough to turn the wood but not enough to hold the wood in place unless the tailstock centre is used for support.
Also, do all the jaws move in & out together? If they move independently then it is an art to get the work centred.
If you look at Axminster or Record you will see all the different jaws
- https://www.axminster.co.uk/shop-by-int ... ing-chucks
- https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/ ... ws--spares
The jaws are bolted to the carriers & each manufacturer uses different spacing & registers so the chances of getting some to fit an engineering chuck will be extremely remote.

20190210_174611.jpg

Attachments

• 20190210_174611.jpg
    20190210_174611.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 518
So, there you go guys, a self centring scrol chuck of some design that comes with two sets of “jaws” the other set are the opposite of the ones in the pic above.
Obviously it is an engineering chuck rather than a Woodturning one, question is now, what would be a feasible price to expect if I was to sell this to help fund a Woodturning chuck....
Thanks again all, for the info above.

What diameter is it, and presumably it has an ISO backplate fitting.

Slight chance depending on the diameter and manufacturing standards that something like the Versa Chuck Jaw Carriers (The Toolpost) or the Axminster chuck standard might fit, if that was the case then a new set of carriers to take wood accessory jaws would work.

Those jaws are the same as the Axminster stepped ones of which I have a set for the Clubman chuck. They are used for both compression and expansion and are not solely engineering type jaws.

Dave

Dave Brookes":6z9n1130 said:
Those jaws are the same as the Axminster stepped ones of which I have a set for the Clubman chuck. They are used for both compression and expansion and are not solely engineering type jaws.

Dave
But unsafe to use without tailstock safety support for the majority of wood holding tasks involving any significant cutting loads.

Diameter and manufacturer of the chuck body may provide pointers to a current 'wood' chuck system that has the same slide dimensions and scroll pitch.

Sale potential will depend a lot on whether it has a standard ISO backplate.

Options then are that the existing backplate may be compatible with a Versa Chuck body (perhaps cheapest option) and then just the chuck body can be sold on less backplate, leaving a buyer the option to get a backplate to suit their particular spindle thread.

Hi guys.
To answer a few.....
Diameter of chuck is 4 inches
Unfortunately, the Axminster SK 100 carriers don’t fit it...
Agree totally about the stepped jaws not maybe a safe option for a beginner and I can totally understand why people would jump to the assumption that I am a beginner but just to put my case forward I started turning, all be it in a small way, over two years ago as therapy to help recovery from a stroke. Unfortunately for me, due to my age, 53, and the natural progress of life I will never fully recover as the part of my brain that’s damaged will continue to die and only get larger. So, at the moment, I am going to continue to turn wood in one fashion or another for as long as I possibly can......as for the safety side of things, I like to think I have a pretty good idea about things as I used to work within the quarrying industry.
This is in no way meant to belittle the people that have taken the time to answer me, I fully appreciate the answers above, thank you, it’s just meant to fill in a wee bit of my background.
I will never be, and I have no intention of becoming, a “professional” turner but purely for fun....the wife is already fed up with bowls and candle sticks and as for pens......
Sorry if this comes across wrong. It’s not meant to.
Thanks.

CHJ,
Can I ask what you mean by an ISO backplate.?
There is a plate bolted on the chuck by, I think three Allen bolts which matches the 11/2 x 8 tpi thread of the spindle.. is this what you mean?
Thanks

Davyc":3ejc8ssb said:
CHJ,
Can I ask what you mean by an ISO backplate.?
There is a plate bolted on the chuck by, I think three Allen bolts which matches the 11/2 x 8 tpi thread of the spindle.. is this what you mean?
Thanks
Yes, almost certainly ISO standard, this would mean that a Versa Chuck body would fit.
iso1.JPG
iso2.JPG

If you went this way and need to make a choice of carriers to take the accessory jaws I personally would go for the Axminster standard for the shear quantity of auxiliary jaws patterns available.

If you already have a wood chuck system then Versa Chuck may well have carriers to match your existing accessory jaws.

The alternate to the Versa Chuck would be an older Axminster Precision Chuck but these are like hens teeth to find.

There's also a slight possibility that a Versa Chuck carrier will fit your exiting chuck.

(Versa chuck has various carries that fit its scroll to take different auxiliary jaw brands.)

Attachments

• iso1.JPG
    iso1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 315
  • iso2.JPG
    iso2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 314
CHJ.
Cheers for that information. I think versachuck seems like a good idea!
I will be exploring that option I think in the very near future, it would give me the option to use my existing Axminster jaws as well as being able to afford others in the future.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply..

I have a Versa chuck with Axy, carriers to compliment my Axy. Chuck collection for that very reason.

I also have ISO backplates in various thread options 1-1/2", 1-1/4" and 1" which has enabled me to swap out back plates on the ISO std. chucks to demo. on a different brand lathe, even on my metal lathe on occasions.

I have a set of those "step" jaws. in compression mode they are excellent for holding anything from inch 25 mmm down to 1/2 mil. I would not use them in expansion without tailstock support. Its partner set I would not use safely for woodturning.

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

So, it seems after further research and some break & clutch cleaner it seems I have in my sweaty hand a Bison 4 jaw self centering chuck complete with internal and external jaws......
The question now is, do I try and sell said set up to fund Woodturning set up and what would you guys value it at?
They are still available new for a staggering £450 plus vat!!!

Back