Advice on sliding gate design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieranw12

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been planning to build a sliding driveway gate for several years. Finally, I have found the time to get down to it.

I wanted to make the gate out of timber, with a mortice and tenoned frame and larch cladding. For most of the design phase, I had been planning on using an in-ground track concreted into the existing tarmac driveway. At the last moment, I have wondered about the alternative cantilevered-type arrangement which might offer some advantages in my situation (our driveway is slightly out of level, the absence of a track across the driveway would be nice too).

Would anyone with experience of these things be able to chip in on the following points?

1 I have only ever seen cantilevered gates with steel frames. Is there any reason why an appropriately sized timber frame couldn't be used? The driveway opening is 3.5m, and I was planning on using locally sourced Scottish larch for the frame, planed to 70x150mm.

2 I'm also a bit anxious as to how hard to push a timber sliding gate might end up being. I know such gates can be automated. The budget doesn't currently allow for this - although it would be something we would certainly consider retrofitting in due course. I haven't been able to find anywhere online whether cantilevered or in-ground tracks are easier in this respect too.

I am very grateful, in advance, for any wisdom this forum can pass on.

Kieran

Back