Servicing saw for warranty conditions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreco99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Moving on from my previous post "which saw?" (I'm still looking)...
Some warranties (ie Axminster) are 3 years but with the condition that the saw is serviced each year.
Axminister will service it for you, as long as you pay to send it and pay to receive it back + the cost of a service, what ever that is.
They say you can get it serviced elsewhere at a " machine servicing company" and that will be good enough. Ive no idea what these other companies are called. I doubt a washing machine servicing company will know what a scroll saw is. Do you look for general engineering companies?

Who is getting their scroll saw services?
are you in the UK?
and where do you get it done?

Thanks for your help again
MrE

This just a money making exercise like extended insurance used to be. How many moving parts on a scroll saw? how likely is it to wear out in three years? Unless of course you have it in a sweat shop with 24 shifts working with it.

I had a hegner that was over 10 years old. it worked faultlessly apart from the rubber bellows which went hard with age, and that wouldnt have been covered anyway.

Thanks for the reply Bob.
Never having owned one yet, I've no idea what faults may or may not happen, or what the expected average usage is of any particular machine is . Hour a day? Hour a week. maybe 3 hours a day is considered normal use.
Lol i didn't even consider what WASTNT covered.

Being a bit of an old cynic: most warranties seem to exclude anything that might go wrong.

I can't speak for the cheapo saws, but if you end up with an Excalibur (see my previous response to your "What saw?" post) or a Hegner, IMO there is no reason for an extended warranty - just a money making exercise, as both machines are superbly built (I've looked carefully at both). As to servicing, what little is needed you can do yourself. My Ex 21 Manual has detailed instructions, and I'm sure the Hegner has too. Basically all the is needed on my saw is a LITTLE light oil on some pivots (about 8 if I remember correctly) plus a small amount of grease on the blade tension lever. Then a good vacuum off underneath. Hegner will be much the same I'm sure. I've had my machine about 5 years now, it gets a fair amount of use (often for work that isn't "real scrolling" at all!) and I've now serviced it twice. About half an hours work each time.

it isn't an extended warranty though. they are trying to say that the standard 3 year warranty is subject to having it serviced. dubious legally I suspect, particularly for normal usage and fitness for purpose.

Oh, I hadn't realised that (here we only get a 2 year Warranty anyway - we're not in the EU!). But even so that seems suspect to me - if the Warranty provider/seller cannot show that the unit has been abused (run over with a steam roller perhaps? :D ) then surely, the warranty is still valid within the period, serviced or not?

Anyway, "servicing" on any scroll saw I've ever owned is a half hour job (max) and anyone would be hard pushed to say that the machine has been serviced, or not.

Back