Gloves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
What gloves do people recommend when applying hand finishes. The ones I have been using seem to fail after a couple of minutes. Ideally would like some that are thin enough to retain a reasonable feel through them
Thanks Ian

Latex or vinyl. Nitrile probably even better. Most of these are available for less than £10 per 100 box, so they're pretty disposable really. The only time I find they last a short time, e.g., less than about 20 - 30 minutes is if I'm working with solvents such as lacquer thinner or gun wash. Apart from that, e.g., with finishes such as oils or finishes that use solvents such as water, white spirits and alcohol, I get a few extended uses out of the gloves before they have to be binned. Slainte.

Yes, nitrile has the best all round solvent resistance of the commonly available gloves. I get boxes of 100 disposable ones from amazon or eBay.

Hornbeam":1leepnv9 said:
Does that mean I'm going to need 2 types : :)
No, the nitrile ones will work perfectly fine for a variety of different applications... and I deal with more fluids (bodily and otherwise) than you'd ever care to encounter!

Another vote for nitrile. These are my favourite 'rubber' gloves for wet jobs where I want to retain a reasonable amount of tactile feedback. They can last and last, even if you're not particularly scrupulous about cleaning off varnish or shellac from the fingertips. I've also tried vinyl gloves in the past and they worked well for me at the time but I wasn't using them with solvents.

Other than the slight loss of feeling the thing I don't like about nitrile and vinyl gloves is how much sweat builds up when you're wearing them. This is just something you have to get used to, especially in warmer conditions obviously. But partly to see how they are in this regard I got some cheap polyethylene gloves in a 150 pack recently from our equivalent of a pound shop and have become quite a fan of them for lighter duties.

They're very thin and don't last so properly disposable, but you can feel surfaces through them better than anything else I've tried and if need be you can double up on them for added protection and still feel quite well through the two thicknesses. They're a loose fit which is a bit annoying but it makes them really easy to don and take off (if need be I can shake a glove off without having to pull with the other hand).

Back