Sit down lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also disabled using a wheelchair and i can use my crutches sometimes
i have m/s Parkinsons arthritis just to say a few
i use my perching stool to sit/stand at my lathe i find it more comfortable than the wheelchair , the seat is set at a 40 degree so i rest and sit slightly on the stool
but i also have a lot of chisels that i have adjusted and reground to do the cutting
it has been hit and miss over the years to get the angels and comfort but in time you will be able to sort it out your self
hope this helps

Thank you both.
The leaning against seat is looking favourite at the moment but until I am able to try I won't know what will suit me best.
I do have a complete lathe stand from an older lathe I once had and was thinking of modifying that to suit so those plans will be useful if I go down that route but think I would prefer a dedicated sit down lathe.
I was also thinking of the Union Graduate bowl lathe which would give me better access I think as I could sit right in front of the work plus they are lower to start off with, so loads of thinking and hopefully trying out before I make my mind up??

Hi everyone.
Thought I would update you on the sit down lathe situation.
Well the VL300 was sold a few weeks ago now and I was able to go and see a Vicmarc VL200 sit down lathe curtesy of Phil Irons who was once the agent in the UK for Vicmarc.
He told me about this lathe some time ago and that how it had had very little use so was virtually new, I think Tony Wilson had tried it out but didn't rate it and since then it's been in Phil's workshop just gathering dust.
So I went to view it and all seemed ok though adjusting it on my own would be a nightmare due to the weight.
Anyhow I decided to have it and try it out and see if I could make things better while using it and came up with the idea of using an electric hoist to adjust it. This is now fixed above the lathe and works a treat all I have to do is undo the two bolts adjust it how I want and put the bolts back. However this would be impossible to do if you are wheelchair bound and would need a two people to adjust it without the hoist.
So although this lathe is designed for wheelchair users there's no way at all you could manage adjusting it on your own but once adjusted to suit your needs it works fine.
I turned my first items today while sitting and soon realised why you need short handled tools and all your tools etc near to hand whilst sitting.
The chair I got is a fully adjustable Draughtsmans chair from that well known auction site, that extends to 33" high so I can use the lathe in the upright position whilst standing and sort of sit at that height which again is comfortable for me.
So all in all the lathe is looking promising for both sitting and standing.

UKWLATHE1.JPG

UKWLATHE2.JPG

Attachments

• UKWLATHE1.JPG
    UKWLATHE1.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 307
  • UKWLATHE2.JPG
    UKWLATHE2.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 307
It looks great, Paul. Do you think it'll be as stable as the one you had previously, with the stand as it is (allowing for chair access/ 'cut away', I mean)?

Chris152":3smnxrzb said:
It looks great, Paul. Do you think it'll be as stable as the one you had previously, with the stand as it is (allowing for chair access/ 'cut away', I mean)?
Cheers Chris.
I knew that I was going to have to change what I am turning and my ways using this lathe but been over 100kg lighter than the VL300 this lathe still feels sturdy and once I get it located in a position I am happy with I will bolt it to the floor, but so far I haven't turned anything big or out of balance on it but I have some lumps of Oak that I have ready to do so that should be a good tester for it :D

Back