new lathe time this year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopCat 32

Established Member
Reaction score
Be looking to replace my lathe later this year, and very few choices out in my price range (sub 2K), i like the look of the stratos twister FU 180, anyone own 1 and can give me a rundown on pros and cons, or used 1 and report, or any thoughts on any type out there i may of missed?, needs a swivel head with outboard turning attachment as im left handed and suffer with a bad back and leaning over the bed while turning bowls is a no no

cheers Tim

Will be interested in any answers as I have been looking at the Stratos FU-230 Woodturning Lathe with the extras so that I can up my turning as it would be heavier than what I have at the moment

The capacity of the Stratos is quite small @ 350mm x 560mm with quite a high price £1700 = unspecified delivery cost), whereas I have been saying for several years the lathe with the best specifications & value for money is the Record Maxi-1 (533mm x 950mm & a weight of 231kg).
You might even get it cheaper than £1900 at one of the Record shows.

woodbloke66":2dnwhs4r said:
Given any thought to the Ax VS 1628 (as was) on a ci stand? - Rob

Yes the AT406WL as they call it now, i like that and price is ok, but no mounted outboard turning option , you seem limited to how far the bed banjo and rest will reach, wheas the twister has a bedextention that can be mounted on the leg and has a swing away hinge, all this and still in the 2k area, i think axminster missed a trick here as wouldn't been difficult to design something similar to the twister

thanks for the reply
Tim

Robbo3":2wcbkvh8 said:
The capacity of the Stratos is quite small @ 350mm x 560mm with quite a high price £1700 = unspecified delivery cost), whereas I have been saying for several years the lathe with the best specifications & value for money is the Record Maxi-1 (533mm x 950mm & a weight of 231kg).
You might even get it cheaper than £1900 at one of the Record shows.

Cheers Robbo, yes looking at the Maxi 1 as well , just over a foot longer which will need some shop adjustment, but not impossible to overcome, price is good, outboard turning attachment good, weight ? it will go on a wooden floored workshop with 4X2 bearers(600mm spacing) on concrete slab with 19mm floor boards as standard, i have overlaid this with 18mm OSB to strengthen it, do you think this is man enough for a 250kg lathe ? like the 5 year warranty, i have another piece of record equipment which i found to be faulty yesterday, and am awaiting there response, if they act like most say on this site and sort problem quickly this will be a big + for buying the maxi 1, went to D&M tools roadshow last october and was disappointed that the maxi 1 was not there,.
have you got the maxi 1, any problems with it?

TopCat 32":16v1zwbx said:
woodbloke66":16v1zwbx said:

Yes the AT406WL as they call it now, i like that and price is ok, but no mounted outboard turning option , you seem limited to how far the bed banjo and rest will reach, wheas the twister has a bedextention that can be mounted on the leg and has a swing away hinge, all this and still in the 2k area, i think axminster missed a trick here as wouldn't been difficult to design something similar to the twister

thanks for the reply
Tim
Ax didn't miss a trick as there is a lathe bed extension that you can get for the machine, which bolts onto the stand in two position. In the lower one, the swing over the bed is 870mm which ought to be big enough for most turners :D - Rob

Dalboy":3ojscu5e said:
This may interest you a review on the 230 which is the next size up from what you are looking at HERE
Interesting, but out of his, under £2k, price range at £2,499. :)
- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/woodturni ... os-fu-230/

I haven't used a Maxi-1 (I have the APTC 1628VS), I'm just going by the specifications & feedback from owners.
As to the flooring, if you can get the leg at the headstock end over a joist everything underneath will be solid. If you can't, then I would consider cutting a trapdoor in the floor so that you can insert further support.

Dalboy":2rybckmb said:
This may interest you a review on the 230 which is the next size up from what you are looking at HERE

cheers delboy, that looks the dogs danglers, but i'm afraid out of my price range at the moment, i have seens Mike's vid on it before, and looked at Hopes website , that's where i spotted the twister

cheers Tim

Robbo3":2efxlnmz said:
Dalboy":2efxlnmz said:
Interesting, but out of his, under £2k, price range at £2,499. :)
- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/woodturni ... os-fu-230/

I haven't used a Maxi-1 (I have the APTC 1628VS), I'm just going by the specifications & feedback from owners.
As to the flooring, if you can get the leg at the headstock end over a joist everything underneath will be solid. If you can't, then I would consider cutting a trapdoor in the floor so that you can insert further support.

Cheers Robbo, great minds i just got back from workshop and been measuring up where the head stock leg would come, would need to rearrange a few thing in shop, but a possibility, the other thing i was thinking was cutting 2 holes in the floor (just over stand size footprint) boxing in and drill a couple of holes in concrete pad and pour concrete pillars to bolt stand to,

Ebay bargain brag:
I got a new (old) lathe recently. Arundel J4 Senior. 72" bed, 12"or 18" dia behind headstock with bowl turning attachment. 3 tool slides. Tilting table. Two 6" face plates and one 12". Very heavy, beautifully designed/made and a pleasure to use.
£100 :lol:

woodbloke66":32iqsa5s said:
TopCat 32":32iqsa5s said:
woodbloke66":32iqsa5s said:

thanks for the reply
Tim
Ax didn't miss a trick as there is a lathe bed extension that you can get for the machine, which bolts onto the stand in two position. In the lower one, the swing over the bed is 870mm which ought to be big enough for most turners :D - Rob

Thanks Robbo, i knew they done a extension , but never seen any info re mounting it as a outboard extension, just a bed extension, never noticed any holes in the legs of 1628 lathes to bolt it to, i must pay more attention in future, off to you tube to see if there are any vids on this, as i just looked through axi catalogue and can not see where it bolts to , that could be the AT406 back in the running as it would be in the circa 2K brand, at the start of this post i was sure the twister was the 1 for me, now igot that and the 406 and maxi 1, more research needed i think

Ah, just back from youtube the outboard attachment is on the tail stock end, so will be turning off the end of bed, unfortunately this is not possible in my shop it needs to be with head swivels 90 degrees and either over leg on headstock end as per Maxi 1 or stratos twister or FU230 or at least in the middle of the bed as per the axi 508 but at about 3.5 k all in out of my price range unfortunately,

Hello all, to the OP:
are you desperate to have a bed attachment for outboard turning? what about a standalone rest? I totally understand the limitations of this but it does open your choice up to all of the lathes in your price range that don't have a side mounting bed extension.

JD

Get a lathe with reverse then you don't need to lean over the bed. You will need a chuck that can lock down otherwise it comes off !

Brian

TopCat 32":xww3jxtn said:
Thanks Robbo, i knew they done a extension , but never seen any info re mounting it as a outboard extension, just a bed extension, never noticed any holes in the legs of 1628 lathes to bolt it to, i must pay more attention in future, off to you tube to see if there are any vids on this, as i just looked through axi catalogue and can not see where it bolts to , that could be the AT406 back in the running as it would be in the circa 2K brand, at the start of this post i was sure the twister was the 1 for me, now igot that and the 406 and maxi 1, more research needed i think
Yes the AT1628VS has a bed extension. The mounting holes are in line with the bed at both ends.
However, like you, turning over the end of the bed involves too much hassle so I'm making an outrigger which will allow turning at ninety degrees.

Outrigger 02.jpg

I'll do a WIP when it's finished.

Attachments

• Outrigger 02.jpg
    Outrigger 02.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 606
Robbo3":3b381v4y said:
Yes the AT1628VS has a bed extension. The mounting holes are in line with the bed at both ends. However, like you, turning over the end of the bed involves too much hassle so I'm making an outrigger which will allow turning at ninety degrees.
Robbo is correct, that there are mounting holes at each end of the AT1628 lathe bed, however they are NOT the same at each end because the LH end (on the current version) has them about 2" lower. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

This means that you cannot expect to put an extension at both ends and turn something bigger between centres. I doubt you would want to do this, anyway.

It does mean that the swing is increased by 4" for bowls, if you mount the headstock on an extension on the LH end. However, you will have to stand behind the lathe and reverse the headstock and banjo. You will also need to make a 2" post extension or get a deeper toolrest (longer foot). This feature is explained in the manual and in the Axminster video, however when you ask Axminster, they don't support using it this way.

Back