AWFS18 - finally managed to get one.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlad

Established Member
Reaction score
For the nice price of £160 and it looks in good condition (to my inexperienced eye, that is). Here's some pictures. Any recommendations in regards to any modifications I should make to improve it?

And it came with 60-70 pinless blades

Looks in good nick. Nice find.

Don't know the machine well enough/can't tell from the pix, but has it got quick release/tool-less blade change? If not then I THINK you can get a kit from Hegner direct.

I see a few pinned blades there. If the machine can use them (I guess so) then useful for the heavier cutting jobs. If not, then they can be used by knocking the pin out of the blade (just drill a hole the same size as the pin in a piece of scrap, rest the end of the blade with the pin in the hole, then gently tap the pin out with a light hammer).

I also see some spiral blades there I think. Some here refer to them as the invention of the devil, others swear by them (in a positive sense)! I've tried a few and found the problem is that they cut in all directions (obviously)! That means that when it comes to turning a tight corner you MUST pivot exactly on the spot, with no movement in any direction at all while pivoting, otherwise you get an unwanted cut in some direction or other. BUT I guess that's partly due to the fact that (age!) I find it very difficult not to move my pivot hand while turning. I'm sure that's really only a matter of more practice though.

But well done, welcome to "the ranks" with what I've always heard from others here is a very good machine. And at that price you can't go wrong - some of the "dressed up, all from the same Chinese factory cheapos" go for about that much!

Warning though, scrolling gets very addictive, and if you end up like me you'll also be using your machine for all sorts of jobs that aren't "proper" scrolling at all. Great!

Thank you :D I intend to start with small stuff like simple little figurines to train my hand with. Like this kind of example:

Yes, there's only a couple of pinned blades in there and quite a few spirals. I am not quite sure what the tool less blade change looks like but I have put a couple of pics below showing where the blade goes.

I have to say that I've only seen/used a Hegner machine once (when I was comparing Hegner to Excalibur before I ended up buying the Excali) so I'm NOT sure, but THINK that blade holder you show is only for pinned blades. But repeat I'm NOT sure. Likewise, I understand the "tool-less" blade clamp on Hegners uses a household radiator drain key or a clock key.

But wait a bit and I'm sure that someone who knows more about Hegner (on which your Axi machine is based) than I do will be along soon.

Glad you managed to get one and at a very good price too

Two modifications if you can call them that

The upper quick clamp is not essential but you will not regret getting one as they make life so much better

They are expensive at about £24 plus postage unless you manage to pick up a second hand one but again I would say worth it

The other mod are the quick release tension lever (red lever on top) bearings, which are nylon and do not last

I notice that Axminster have a modification to brass ones now, but I beat them to it ;-) I used four small bearings off router bits, of which I had several spares

I fitted two per side and the used the same clip as held the nylon ones, nothing else was needed and they have worked perfectly for two or three years now

It was mentioned if your machine took pinned blades, which it does just ignore the V clamps and hook into the top and bottom brackets

Read the manual re oiling the bearings, do it periodically and you should not have a problem, apart from that keep it clean by hoovering all dust away as often as you can

I use furniture wax periodically to wax the table, makes your pieces slide easier

Another advantage to using a quick clamp, is it frees up the V clamp that would have been used at the top, so you can set up several blades with just the bottom V clamp attached

Enjoy yourself

whatknot":bffyobp5 said:
Two modifications if you can call them that

The upper quick clamp is not essential but you will not regret getting one as they make life so much better

They are expensive at about £24 plus postage unless you manage to pick up a second hand one but again I would say worth it

The other mod are the quick release tension lever (red lever on top) bearings, which are nylon and do not last

I notice that Axminster have a modification to brass ones now, but I beat them to it ;-) I used four small bearings off router bits, of which I had several spares

Could I be so cheeky and ask if you could guide me in the right direction for getting the upper quick clamp and the tension lever bearings please? :oops: I dont want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Oh, be as cheeky as you like ;-)

The AWFS18 is now sold under the number AT460SS by Axminster

On their site under the Trade Classification & 3 Year Guarantee detail is a "Show more +"

Clicking that gets you the User Manual, the Health & Safety blurb and "User Manual 2"

Which I found to be the modification

But as I said previously, I found the small bearings off router bits to be even better

whatknot":2fdlwdkr said:

Ah right, I didnt realise that. In which case I have got quite a decent deal then.

I've found the quick clamp on Hegner's website and I have seen the bearings you refer to as well. I'll give Axminster a call to order them because I dont have any router bits to get bearings from.

Can this machine be modified with a foot switch or is that something I dont really need?

Personally I have no need at all for a foot switch, some seem to like them but I cannot see the point myself

I mentioned that your photo does not show the NVR switch which it would have been supplied with, if its been bypassed you could fit a foot switch, but if it still have the NVR switch you can't (ie you need to bypass it)

Agree 100% with the above post (about foot switches). Personally, having tried a foot switch once before buying one, I wouldn't be without one now, but just as per the above post, there's plenty of people who don't bother at all. "Whatever floats yer boat", "horses for courses", and all that.

Hi
I guess that model number AWFS18 is an older model? (doesn't mean its old)

What is the equivalent of the latest model numbers?
There is a AWFS16 but i think that's miles lower that the AWFS18.

Does anyone have a list of older Axminster model numbers compared to newer ones?

Thanks Guys

See above post

Basically the same saw

I think the only difference between the older part number and the new, is I think the new would have the tension lever upgraded bearings fitted

I thought they were selling the AWFS18 supplied with a quick clamp , but can't see it listed under the new part number description

That quick clamp is IMHO essential to make the most of the saw , they are about £24 + postage

Back