help identify a lathe and where to get new bed poles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymelbushby

Reaction score
fC0zJ9uEQNiX7MpReNL9Kg.jpg
hi i have just managed to get my hands on a secondhand but never used lathe
it has the bed poles missing but everything else works
would anyone help me to find out make
and where i can get the poles from
thanks
cy

Attachments

• fC0zJ9uEQNiX7MpReNL9Kg.jpg
    fC0zJ9uEQNiX7MpReNL9Kg.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 633
there must be a part where you can measure what size the bars would have been. Then just buy some steel in the right size.

48mm in solid doesn't seem to be available, but 48mm tube is. It doesn't matter too much whether it's s/s or mild so long as it's not kept somewhere damp. S/S in that size would probably cost more than the lathe is worth. Fill the tubes with some cement if you want some rigidity and weight.

I doubt if Poolewood will be of much help as that lathe was produced before Terry Davis bought the company and also the company has been sold again and does not do those lathes anymore.
By the way Terry has now retired.

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

I don't know about the price, it's 20+ years since I bought centreless ground bar, but solid silver steel is available in standard diameters of 45mm and 50mm. Would the lathe accept larger or smaller than the 48mm nominal ?
Also, just to note, some lathes are / were made with tubular rather than solid bed bars.

48mm is a standard pipe size - think the standard is sch40 which has about a 4mm wall thickness. Filled with concrete they would work, and be cheap!

Sideways":92yo1qxk said:
I don't know about the price, it's 20+ years since I bought centreless ground bar, but solid silver steel is available in standard diameters of 45mm and 50mm. Would the lathe accept larger or smaller than the 48mm nominal ?
Also, just to note, some lathes are / were made with tubular rather than solid bed bars.

The place where I get my silver steel from is around £150 a metre for 45mm silver steel and £170/m for 50mm. The bed would probably be worth more than the machine!

Get yourself some 48mm scaffold tubes. Dirt cheap.

I saw a lathe just like this on Ebay last week, and thought...........hmmm, I wouldn't want to be the person trying to find those missing bits.

hi thanks all for the help
i will try scaffold poles but new ones should be straight ( well Hopefully)
and yes the one on eBay i went to look at and it was advertised elsewhere but i did in deed purchase the only thing missing is the poles the rest is pristine condition never even been put up and still bolted to the pallet it came on
so all good for me

phil.p":1z8z6ifh said:
Don't forget that normal scaffold tubes are larger than 48mm.

48.31mm-ish to be exact! Was measuring some up today funnily enough for a table made of scaffold planks and using the tubes as legs. It's easy enough to sand that amount off the tube if it needs to be a precise fit into the headstock, if the tail stock and tool rest is a 2 piece clamp type setup it shouldn't need the whole tube sanding.

:lol: I'd have thought they were slightly bigger than that. (They're not) I remember sanding a couple down to fit my 28 - 40, although I can't remember why. :?
The bars from one of them would fit if you can track down anyone scrapping one.

phil.p":2ob56apx said:
:lol: I'd have thought they were slightly bigger than that. (They're not) I remember sanding a couple down to fit my 28 - 40, although I can't remember why. :?
The bars from one of them would fit if you can track down anyone scrapping one.
By checking mine is the 28-40 and i have ordered some scaffold poles
will keep you all updated

Back