caveat emptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine won an auction for a Felder BF5, the guy wanted cash before even picking it up and the cash put into a Polish bank account. Had a look through the completed listings for BF5s and sure enough, the same pictured machine sold 2 weeks prior with a genuine seller.

katellwood":3eyknb1m said:
Do people actually get conned?

I find it hard to comprehend how....?

If you paid for it through Ebay/Pay Pal, you must be covered, surely..?
And if you were going to collect the machine, you're not going to part with any money until you've got possession of the thing...!

Maybe someone else could elaborate?

Trevanion":hbqcioc3 said:
A friend of mine won an auction for a Felder BF5, the guy wanted cash before even picking it up and the cash put into a Polish bank account. Had a look through the completed listings for BF5s and sure enough, the same pictured machine sold 2 weeks prior with a genuine seller.

That was probably my old BF5. I initially sold it on here however it has appeared on ebay on at least two occasions, the last time by a dealer
Distinterior":hbqcioc3 said:
katellwood":hbqcioc3 said:
Do people actually get conned?

I find it hard to comprehend how....?

If you paid for it through Ebay/Pay Pal, you must be covered, surely..?
And if you were going to collect the machine, you're not going to part with any money until you've got possession of the thing...!

That's probably why the are advertised as being in such remote locations with a thousand mile round trip if collected thereby encouraging purchasers to pay by bankers draft and having the item delivered.

There's a member on woodworkuk who's seen his own felder planer advertised by these conmen on more than one occasion

Distinterior":3hhopjhz said:

It is shockingly easy to get people to part with their money, it hits all types of people regardless of intelligence or lack thereof.

It's generally predicated on naivety, stupidity and greed.

Also, be very careful when you sell on ebay and goods are collected from you. It's not unknown for purchaser to claim goods never received and obtain refund. Get car reg. no. or photo of guy.

GrahamF":3jpnrk9c said:
Also, be very careful when you sell on ebay and goods are collected from you. It's not unknown for purchaser to claim goods never received and obtain refund. Get car reg. no. or photo of guy.

That is a very good point to raise. I've heard of a few people receiving PayPal funds straight away followed up by an email to collect at leisure. People assume they must be sound to pay so quickly and think nothing of it.

Is outrageous that they seem to get away with it. Same level as breaking into a van and stealing all the tools.
Low life scum bags.

they appear to be at it again
Ebay listing 185455124583

same photos as previous listing and another fairly difficult part of the UK to easily access for the majority of us

Back