shells

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all has anyone out there had a go at scroll saw shells please ??, not intarsia type.

take care
John

If you mean cutting actual sea shells Aramco (as you pick up at the beach) I've never tried it but I guess it MIGHT be possible. Purely as a guess I'd think of using a very slow speed and fitting a very fine metal cutting blade. Also you'd need to support the under side somehow I think - how about a piece of balsa wood carved to fit the underneath curves but with a flat bottom to rest on the table?

But as said, the above is complete guess work here! If you do try let us know how it goes please.

I have been watching videos by a man called Steve Giddion on youtube and he makes some cracking stuff , just thought I would give it a try to prove I can do it ,I think I have figured it out how to do it but will have to buy the patterns to make sure, at $15 and $ 20 each, but when they are finished they are something else, he also does lots of other stuff as well, could get expensive watching youtube.

Its the same thing as the video on here.

take care
John

I had a go a little while ago John, inspired by youtube vids but I didn't pay for any plans, will try to find where I downloaded from.
Just used so type of pine though it was heavy and harder than expected. Actual cutting and making was easy enough though.

Attachments

• Shell 1.jpg
    Shell 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 653
  • shell 5.jpg
    shell 5.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 653
  • shell 3.jpg
    shell 3.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 653
hi Martyn thanks for that , I think I have got it mostly figured out except for the first couple of cuts , at the moment I am trying to finish an intarsia of a colt 45 so this will have to wait till thats done ,but will be defo having a go.

take care
John

Hi again, here is the photo of the one i made in sapella, a good site showing how to do them is at
laughingmansstudio.com and then look up nautilus, alternatively of course if you can find the video by spiralsbysteve on utube. although he is trying to charge for his ebook now, but getting use to all the angles and practice with them soon allows you to get great results without to much sanding..

Ive got all sorts of odd pictures of them in various stages but never done a start to finish set.

Martyn

Attachments

• nautiloid2-7.JPG
    nautiloid2-7.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 514
Hi,

sorry forgot to answer first cut question, the sapella one i just posted heres a photo of the first cut i made on it, also included my sketch of the blank stock
Martyn

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 513
  • nautiloid blank.jpg
    nautiloid blank.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 513
sorry it has taken so long to get back to this subject, once you have A) cut your wood and B) taken the first cut , how do you decide how thick the other cuts are to complete the shell

take care
John

Hi john
You just keep taking the piece you cut and transposing it to the next piece of stock and eventually you return to the first piece which sets the thickness if you’ve watched the spiral by Steve video it shows it quite well

Martyn

Back