Which scrollsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with AES on all points including cars mine is a BMW to heck with fords and my saw is an axi trade 30 bought because Brian - claymore - suggested it for the work I want to aspire to one day, axis do come for sale on here from time to time wish you luck with which ever one you buy and hope to see some of your work on here soon.

take care
John

AES":hzw15qyt said:
I think (repeat only think) that he also said that that machine is actually a clone of one of the Hegner models.

Ah yes, I remember reading a post on here which did say that the AWFS18 is a clone of the cheaper Hegner machine. Will have to keep an eye for a second hand one because I am unable to afford to spend more than £300 for a scrollsaw. Very strangely there seems to be a gap in the market for machines in that price range as well. They are all either £200 and below or £500 and above.

I've also seen some Jet saws for sale but not got a clue about their reputation.

I think you're quite right Chlad. From what I've seen (remember please, I'm not UK-based) there is a gap in the market. Just as you say it jumps some prices of around the 250-300 quid mark straight to the 500 & more mark.

I well understand your concern, but bear in mind the comments about cheapo machines DO work, but if you want better than that, with your budget I think SH is the answer. There have been some apparently good machines for sale here from time and there is of course the bay, etc, etc. So a question of waiting I think.

I have an AWFS18 and its an excellent saw, like the Hegner it does require the addition of the top quick clamp if it doesn't already have one

Other than that its a great machine

Chlad":3bu4879u said:
Thank you guys. The advice is much appreciated. I've decided to stay away from Hegner because I read on anohter thread that their prices are hugely inflated (especially spare parts). Would an Axminster AWFS18 be considered a decent scrallsaw? I've seen them for sale second hand now and again.

Back