Foot Switch for EX21

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a foot switch for my Excaliber EX21 but the one referenced in the manual appears to be only an emergency stop switch. Rockler sell one that is claimed to operate the saw as one would expect, i.e. on/off & speed control. Link here

Does anyone have any experience with foot switches for these saws and in particular why is the one offered here in the UK only an emergency switch and not a switch for operating the saw?

regards

Brian

There are 2 switches on The Excalibur range of saws, one is the on/off and this is located at the end of the arm. the other is a NVR switch which ensures power stays off in the event of a power cut etc to prevent it coming back on automatically

See my current post in the scrolling section about "background" and "mods to my machine". Within that post (quite early on, before it dives off into .pdf links) there is a link to a post I made about 4 years ago about fitting a foot switch to my own Ex 21. Note however that my machine doesn't have the NVR switch as per the Axi machines.

However if you do a search through the whole Forum you'll find several quite recent posts by people who have fitted a foot switch to various different types of machines which are fitted with an NVR switch. (Sorry I can't think of any relevant particular post, date, title, or poster's name off hand, but there are several around).

HTH

Edit for P.S.
Quite by chance, looking for something else, I just found this (2 pages back from this current page):
scrollsaw-foot-pedal-t113188.html

NOT being sarky but although not brilliant the search function on here does work.

Sorry, not well written by me - long day. It is fitted with a NVR in order to meet or exceed HSE requirements as technically the blade is un-guarded. To fit a foot pedal you have to bypass the NVR and means that the machine can be left in a "dangerous" condition opening up the manufacturer to possible litigation. It is possible to fit a foot pedal but doing so voids any warranty given and liability by the manufacturer.

After a look at the questions posted and their replies, (at the bottom of the information sheet), this is a simple On/Off foot switch ie deadmans switch. THERE IS NO SPEED CONTROL WITH THIS SWITCH. It simply picks up the speed it was set at before it was switched off, just like any other switch of this type.

This topic has been discussed before on this forum and there are quite a few threads, some fairly recently. Sometimes it is difficult to see what is happening as people start threads asking for information and then when given it fail to reply with any meaningful ideas/discussion on what went wrong, went right or indeed if anything happened at all.

Discuss

Don W

Personally, I believe that with a machine such as the Ex 21, which has a separate speed control knob (as have other machines too), you only need a simple On/Off foot switch. The idea of adding a foot switch with speed control (like my wife's sewing machine for example) would be a real problem.

FWIW

Thanks for the replies so far, I will have a further look although I did a search for foot switch before posting but it came back empty, I'll try again.

regards

Brian

Back