table saw, serious this time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to buying a table saw (FINALLY!)
I've had to give up all hope of a large older model due to transport costs, but I've found a way of getting a site saw here without breaking the bank. Trouble is its a dewalt 745 thats top of the list.

I have a mostly unfounded dislike of dewalt but am going to have to overcome that if you lot convince me its worth while.

from the millions of pages that I have read I have a relatively small issue, and thats the noise level. Its quoted at 105 db. Thats more than my 1500 V twin motorcycle with straight pipes managed. WTF is it that noisy?

I'm currently re-arranging the entire workshop to make room for it, and I'm planning on buying in early april, so give me the good and the bad, or possibly an alternative, but the alternative ABSOLUTELY MUST BE 22kg or less because its coming back on the airplane with me.

I think most site saws are around 100-110db, they are known to be loud. I think it's a bit of both the blade making a high pitched noise and the brushed motor makes a racket too. Even solid panel saws are around the 90-95db mark, you can bring the noise down a bit with a special quiet blade but they aren't cheap.

You will really struggle to find anything else in the sub 22kg category, the lightest saw Makita do is over 30kgs going by the spec.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 745 Dewalt saw from builders (real abusers) if that helps.

I'm after accuracy and repeatability. No more building for this old boy :roll: 8)
I have a preference for makita tools, but their saw reviews are pretty bad and they weigh over 30kg.

Hi sunnybob, don'y know if this is of any use, but Dewalt do a cordless site saw, it is pricey but it comes in under 20kg, and supplied with 2 batteries, brushless motor so should be reasonably quiet, not sure on customs though relating to batteries, so that could be an issue,
link to screwfix for info, https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs74 ... -saw/4787p

dynax":1o3cl9gm said:
Hi sunnybob, don'y know if this is of any use, but Dewalt do a cordless site saw, it is pricey but it comes in under 20kg, and supplied with 2 batteries, brushless motor so should be reasonably quiet, not sure on customs though relating to batteries, so that could be an issue,
link to screwfix for info, https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs74 ... -saw/4787p

That's a fair point, I remember a Festool rep telling me that Dewalt had made unique batteries (The larger FlexVolt ones) which could actually be transported legally by air travel because they were technically dead batteries until they were plugged into a tool. I have no idea how they work, but it must be some black voodoo magic going on.

But I think Bob's after something mains powered.

https://youtu.be/5oi5BTKl2hY
This is a USA site , but it does a great review of 8 saws.
I quite like the Skilsaw Wormdrive, but I’m a big fan of their Wormdrive Circular saw. The lads at work have the Dewalt saw and it’s very good .

The dewalt battery saw is £200 dearer, plus extra batteries :shock:
I cant find the skilsaw for sale in the UK.

Looks like it will be the 745.

Bob
I have the Flexvolt battery version of this saw and am very impressed with its performance and quality of cut. It is light, compact and very powerful and having had the opportunity to test it at the same time as the 240v mains version I plumped for the cordless primarily as I wanted freedom from the mains.....plus I have a ruck full of DeWalt batteries having held my nose, bought some yellow tools and been astonished at just how good they were. My previously held dismissal of DW as carp blown out of the window!

Back to the saw. The rack and pinion fence is the best I have ever used, spot on accurate and very easy to use, set up and adjust for wider boards. Blade changing is easy, the raise/lower mechanism is simple and accurate and the dust extraction is reasonable with hose connectors on the main body and on the blade guard. But as mine is cordless and wheeled outside on the excellent DW saw stand, it is not at the top of my priority list but when used in my shed and connected to a Dust Deputy it is more than adequate.

Sound wise, as the saw is built around a frame with none of the sound absorption of a fully enclosed cabinet , it is loud but not unbearably so. Good ear defenders as with any powered tool.

The build quality of the saw is excellent and the only negative I have is the mitre gauge which is best left on the workbench. The table top itself is a cast alloy, benefits from a quick wipe with Liberon wax and has remained as good and as flat as new.

It’s a cracking saw and I would buy another on a heartbeat should this one go **** up.

dynax;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeWALT-DW745 ... rk:40:pf:0

Thats £310 cheaper. add the fact that I would have to buy batteries (no, I havent even looked at THOSE prices), and then I've just seen its an 8" blade as opposed to the 10" on the mains powered.

Simou, thanks for the write up. It helps me make my mind up.

Now I have one more problem to solve... I'm not going to the UK till AFTER March :shock: :shock:
Not sure if that saw will still be available or the same price.
Then again, I might not get a visa to enter, seeing as I'm an EU citizen now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have the 7485 Flexvolt version too. I bought it off another forum member last year and at the time I thought I got a good deal; now I think I should have wore a mask when I collected it from him!

I guess it comes down to what you're used to but this "weigh" better than either the Charnwood model that preceded it or the never heard of before nor since badged model I started with. Ease of set up, repeatability, accuracy and the fence make it a winner as far as I'm concerned. It's also the quietest saw I've owned. When not cutting, the sound it makes is almost laughable and even under load it's not excessive. That said, most of what I've put through it is max 18mm mdf or plywood, not like I'm ripping loads of thick oak with it. Did cut some CLS yesterday. Volume was higher for that than sheet materials but I think battery level plays a part. One battery ran out of charge partway through first cut and after popping on a fully charged battery, cut was not only easier but quieter too.

I'd been looking at the 745 for its compact size, an important consideration in an already cramped single car garage (UK sized) when this cordless one came up at a good price. I did think about cashing in by selling it on, buying the 745 and putting any surplus cash towards a decent mitre gauge but not sure the fence on 745 is quite as good as the 7485's so have abandond that stupid idea, aided by a handful of time wasters! Dewalt make a mains adaptor for their Flexvolt mitre saw and I wish they'd offer one for the 7485. The batteries are convenient and pretty good but for someone with access to sockets a mains adaptor would be a real boon.

Oddly enough, I was on youtube the other night hoping to find some info about refitting the riven knife and blade assembly. I'd removed mine when making a cross cut sled and thought I really out to put it back on and found I was getting binding I'd not experienced before. Anyway, few minutes into first video I found it became clear I was watching one that wasn't just the same model but the actual unit I bought from here!

After thinking about it, couldn’t you just pick up a Wadkin AGS and stuff it into an enclosed dog cage and write on it “very big dog”? :lol:

I like the go fund me idea. could you circulate it to any millionaires you know? Ta, and tell them I need a few extra K to pay for the first class plane to collect it and bring it back? =D>

The flexvolt obviously has many fans, but I'm afraid this all just comes down to the filthy lucre.
Buying the mains version and bringing it back as an extra suitcase gets it to my workshop for 500 squid. Thats 300 less than the battery version costs(and of course batteries, so maybe 400 difference) and then another 70 for the extra luggage, makes it a bit irrelevant.

You all know I've tried for a wadkin for over 2 years now, and since Memzey didnt bring one in his hand luggage last year, that plan has died a death. They are now selling for a grand and I would have another 200 to 400 extra shipping costs.

But I do think I need to move on this now, rather than wait 2 months and find the price has doubled. I think I will get it sent to my son, then he can unpack it and test it all out before hand.

Given your availability problem why are you convinced you "need" a TS?
Obviously for most of us it's a cheapish option.

You have a decent BS, IIRC.
Surely that and a decent track saw are the way forward?

The bandsaw is good, but not good enough to give me "sticks" of any consistant lengths and widths. I dont have a track saw.
Imagine I want to make a pair of cupboard doors. I need rails and stiles of exact dimensions. A bandsaw wont do that, a track saw would need a day of setting up.

Anyone got the rolling stand with their dewalt?
I would need to build a cabinet for the saw, but can see I might well need to move it to the middle of the floor from time to time so it might be cheaper and easier in the long run to just buy the stand as well.

If anyone can furnish me with these measurements i would be very grateful.
When on the stand DE7400 as shown here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dewalt-DW745 ... 0005.m1851

What is the table height from the ground?
what is the overall left to right gap that would be required when facing the front of the saw?
What diameter is the dust extraction tube?

Thanks very much.

Looks like a good saw given your constraints, at least it has a standard mitre slot :)

dewalt-745-incra-1000se.jpg

Hey Andy, havent seen you around lately. i cant believe how difficult its becong to just get overall dimensions of the saw on its base.
Amazon uk list the mobile base as smaller than the saw!
I have a gap in a run of machines that I have to fit it into.

Latest posts

Back