Help with Clarke CWL6B live centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedance

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently bought an old second-hand Clarke 20" CWL6B Lathe.
The lathe is noisy due to the rusty tailstock live centre bearing.
The part number quoted in the manual is SD6039. I've tried MachineMart with no joy.
Two questions: Can anybody help me source a replacement bearing? and how does this come apart? (I'm assuming that its just a press fit assembly).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Steve.

I would expect a No 1 Morse taper fitting, and if so, any MT1 live centre would do. Also it would fit on other lathes (with a MT 2-1 or 3-1 adaptor if necessary). I have read some very derogatory comments regarding Clarke lathes, so if you decide to upgrade then you can still use it. Personally I have always been disappointed with Clarke tools (with the exception of their welders and compressors which apparently are not Chaiwanese in origin) and I don't buy Clarke any more.

K

If you can confirm that it's 1MT then it would probably be quicker & easier to buy a new live centre. If it's not a Morse taper (MT) then perhaps you could post a photo.

The outer part of the live centre is pressed onto the outside of the bearing and the inner hole in the bearing is pressed on to the quill. You will probably need a bearing puller to separate the parts (although those usually rely on there being a hole in the middle!). The bearing will have numbers on it used to identify the replacement.
The other alternative is to keep winding the quill back until the live centre tip falls off but murphy's law states that it will come off with the bearing inside. You will then need to figure out how to get the bearing out!
That type of live centre with a single bearing don't last too long.

Now you know why decent lathes have removable accessories! ;)

Latest posts

Back