can you identify this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said ply for the lids and I would plump for maple for the sides with various stains

I can't imagine they are using maple for something like this especially if they are staining them and not making a point of them being constructed of maple in the first place.

This type of product will have a low price point and as such they will use the cheapest wood (Pine I suspect) they can get away with.

May be wrong....

Is was the top one of these that made me think maple

Attachments

• wooden-memory-box_3894.jpg
    wooden-memory-box_3894.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 107
I agree, that top unstained image would suggest a better wood but I'd be surprised if this is the case. I'd guess southern pine.

Do a search on Etsy for memory box, loads on there with more images and options.

Look at that last picture of the three stacked. The bottom box shows a horizontal join. I dont believe they would make stuff from joined pieces. I think they are man made material covered in vinyl wrap with a solid wood lid.

I would make them out of 9mm BB plywood. Plywood end grain can be quite pleasing to the eye when clear varnished.

I'm unclear why it matters what they are made of if you just want to make something similar ? The text says Natural, Oak and Walnut. The "natural" implies the others at least aren't natural wood. They look a bit like maple, beech and a horrible blotchy mess of a staining job. Quality looks on par with a wine crate. Well worth making a nicer version.

Tony, That entire sentence is
You can choose from three different finishes: natural (lighter), oak (medium), walnut (dark).

The accent on "finishes". Thats a stick on coating.
But yes, it would be fairly easy to make a better box, although as always, it couldnt be made for the same price as bulk manufacture.

Back