Anybody made a coffin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergal

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of a men's shed and as most of the membership are elderly gentlemen, the subject of making your own coffin came up. The ethos of our shed is to use reclaimed or recycled materials whenever possible and the preference is for cremation, so the coffin doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.

Are there any regulations regarding the construction of coffins? As far as I can tell, if they're to be cremated, they must be made of combustible materials with no metal parts. Does this include screws or other fasteners? Anybody have any experience of making coffins?

Thanks

There might be an issue if using pallet wood or timber that has been treated with insecticides and the like. Any thing that would give off noxious fumes would not be allowed.

Aren't most pallets heat treated rather than pressure treated and therefore ok to burn? We did discuss the use of pallet wood, some were keen on it, others would prefer a nice hardwood although it does seem a waste to burn that.

There's an episode of the Wood Wright's Shop showing the trad method with the kerfed shoulders, I think, which could be useful.

You're right to think about functionality. Apart from its ultimate purpose it needs to substantial enough to stand upright in the corner of the workshop with a few shelves (easily removable of course) included. Give it a hinged lid/door and it'll last your lifetime!
A friend's father did this and when the time came for it to be used for its ultimate purpose, she had to clear it of tins of paint and finishes. A funeral director came and prepared the departed in the workshop and there he laid for his mates and family to come and pay their respects until the day of the funeral.
What a way to go!
Brian

From an increasingly dodgy memory I think they have to be fitted with a 'fluid proof' lining? Certainly the wicker ones have to be.

Full marks for selecting the most grim woodworking project you could possibly take on ;)

I think if I was retired I would just request a wicker one in a will and move on to something more uplifting...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":2x7sfqlc said:
Full marks for selecting the most grim woodworking project you could possibly take on ;)

I think if I was retired I would just request a wicker one in a will and move on to something more uplifting...

I seem to remember someone here made an ashes box.

The wicker ones are quite a bit priceyer than oak faced chipboard. DAMHIKT!

lurker":25ypaqhc said:
Bodgers":25ypaqhc said:

I seem to remember someone here made an ashes box.

The wicker ones are quite a bit priceyer than oak faced chipboard. DAMHIKT!
An urn for somebody, fair enough. Your Own coffin, not so much...

I made an ashes box, its now buried in their garden, its all made from Iroko so it might still be o/k.

casketandtable by Racers, on Flickr

Look at the colour difference between the table and box, its the same wood!

Pete

I made oak ashes boxes for each of my parents, not an easy job I found emotionally and not sure I'd embark on a coffin project.

As far as liquid proof linings don't they pull your innards out through your nose and stuff your orifices with cotton wool. :roll: #-o

Lons":1ze5x83h said:
...........As far as liquid proof linings don't they pull your innards out through your nose and stuff your orifices with cotton wool. :roll: #-o

Only when you get buried in The Valley of The Kings. Evidently you're better connected than the rest of us, Lons. :)

MikeG.":1crrxddj said:
Lons":1crrxddj said:
...........As far as liquid proof linings don't they pull your innards out through your nose and stuff your orifices with cotton wool. :roll: #-o

Only when you get buried in The Valley of The Kings. Evidently you're better connected than the rest of us, Lons. :)
Ambitions above my station Mike :lol:

Actually ambition isn't the word I should use. Not ready to pop me clogs just yet.

I made my father's coffin end of 2017.
Lost him in the morning and in the workshop cutting parts for it in the afternoon.
I promised him I'd do it a few months earlier, without really comprehending the emotional strain it would involve.
Made it of oak with oak veneered panels.
He was a furniture maker and antique dealer so I used some of own turning and carvings.
The crematorium requested that no metal was used, no nails or screws. It could not be painted due to any potential fumes when being burnt.
So I used Danish oil.
The inside was upholstered but not fire retardent material.
The funeral directors supplied a clear lining for any body fluids.
I was also given maximum dimensiond it could be.
Trying to post a photo but not sure how?

20171002_184433.jpg

Attachments

• 20171002_184433.jpg
    20171002_184433.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 118
anyone considered being buried in a makita mitre saw box \ the Chinese seem to get away with putting all kinds of weight in them there boxes

Whoever said nothings is impossible, obviously never tried slamming a revolving door !

Back