Iroko gates sikken finishing advice please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On top of the hill

Reaction score
Ok i feel anxious and need some very basic help. Im new to all this.

I bought some fantastic 6 foot iroko gates.
But they have been installed in the winter...months after I ordered them.

I have taken them off...after 2 months hung outside...allowed them to dry in situ by covering them with a tarp for two weeks unhung them and allowed to dry in garage for a week

I saw the sikken experiment so have plumped for
Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus light oak stain followed by 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 plus light oa

I have applied the one coat stain.
Q1...Might be a stupid question...how do i know its dry?
Q2 Should i just do 1 coat or two. And how do I decide?

Q3 i am now panicking... were the gates ‘dry’ before i added the stain? How can i tell this? Im concerned because its been so cold....was i too anxious to get them done before the winter weather.
Q4 What should i do now? Go ahead with starting the cetol filetr?
Q5... is it ok to do one side and then the other in the filter?
Q6.. they are in my garage but its only 5 degrees...how long should i wIt between coats ? How can i tell its dry.
Q 7 do i sand between any of the coats and if yes what do i need to do?

I am disappointed they were not hung in sept as promised...which would have enabled me to have done all this hing outside in warm weather.

Can you knowledgeable folk help me reduce my anxiety? I love my gates and just want them to be perfect...and hence all my efforts in trying to do the right thing!

Id start by looking at the guidelines on the tins. Generally the stains I use say one coat only. Solvent based
I applied some poly varnish at 4 degrees. After 2 days was not dry in my workshop (unheated). Brought inside the house after I had wiped down with white spirit. Applied another coat that dried within 24 hours (20 degrees).

Off the sikken website:
Application
Always do a test area before starting any project to assess the colour, consistency and compatibility of the finish. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the tin at all times. This product is ready to use straight from the tin and does not require thinning.

Only apply at temperatures ranging between 5℃ and 35℃ and a relative humidity of no more than 85%. Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application to ensure a consistent finish.

Apply 2 coats of Sikkens Cetol 7 Plus with a good quality natural bristle brush
For best results, it is necessary to keep the interval between application of these coats as short as possible
Allow to dry fully before application of the next coat

thanks skinnyB. I read the can and the forums as to what to buy ...but I don't have the confidence/experience to understand if Im doing it right!

Any further advice for me on my questions???

Back