Secret Santa 2018 Pictures here, please (page nine start).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried twice but the posts don't appear even though it says its been done successfully

uefGIpM.jpg

Droogs":32ld8qry said:
tried twice but the posts don't appear even though it says its been done successfully

Click on here Droogs.

https://imgur.com/

Click the green button top centre 'New Images'
From the drop down box click 'Upload images'
Click Browse.
Select your pic from where you have it stored on your PC.

You should get a loading post notification and your pic will appear.

Hover your mouse over the pic.
Top right of pic you get some options appear.
If the pic resolution is huge now is the time to resize.

See the down arrrow 'V' Hover over that.
Edit image. If its landscape pic change the first value to (about) 800. For portrait 300 may be ok. Whatever suits you.
Thats it. Imgur will do the rest.
Click save.

Image is now saved at a website friendly size.
Hover your mouse again over the 'v'.
Click 'sharelinks'.
Click the bluebox that says Copy BBCode.

Right click in your post to paste it on ukw. In your preview it will appear as a link. When you submit it will appear as an image.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Chris

Adding images as an attachment works better these days, the size limit seems to have been raised. I could do it all from my Android phone, though I did have to use the email it to myself trick to reduce the size.

Mind you, I had a lot of practice because I lost my TalkTalk provided web space, so went through and updated all the images in all my posts. Never again.

Hi everyone, sorry for the slightly delayed reply.

I was delighted to receive a pair of beautifully made marking gauges. They are stunningly well made. I’d like to tell you what woods are used but I’m not sure, maple and ebony maybe, Ash? Or possibly Yew for some bits. Whatever they are lovely and work far better than the old bought one I have. Thank you.

46069f45c87517fcf6a74ba687556677.jpg

Looks like maple, box and rosewood to me, he should have put a note in the box about them.

Pete

DSCF0020.JPG

I had a pair of depth gauges, a nice block of maple (I believe), a Banksia nut, a 20mm Woodbeaver and a 200mm extension for a drill driver. Curiously one of the few sizes of auger I haven't got is a 20mm, and I have neither a depth gauge nor an extension - I've been meaning to buy an extension for ages. I picked up a Banksia nut the other day - I've had it kicking around for about twenty years - maybe now I'll turn a matched pair for an upcoming competition. :D The blank may be very useful - January's competition is a box - I've a piece of oak lined up which might not work out very well. I've just got airbrushes and some pewter ........... hmmm ...... :D
Thank you to my donor - I won't mention his name, although as I (dis)organised it obviously I know.
The temptation to choose from whom to receive was hard to resist. :lol: - but the draw was completely blind.
I'm not going to chase people for photos, life's too short. I know it happens that people don't post - the recipient of mine didn't a couple of years ago didn't ( which annoyed me as I hadn't taken any pictures, and I don't know that he ever posted again) but that's up to them. Early days yet, anyway.
Happy New Year to all. :eek:ccasion5:

Attachments

• DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 326
Sorry this took a while, but I really struggled to get even one shot that truly shows just how stunning this is in real life:
1.jpg

2.jpg

This is a heavy marking gauge with a long, solid brass stem and fence blended seamlessly with the wood stock. The weight really helps with marking and makes it effortless, the stock fits the curve of my hand beautifully, the adjustable spur carves lines in oak as if it were butter, and the fit of the stem in the stock is so perfect it almost doesn't need the large brass locking screw. I really cannot describe just how tightly made this piece is and how smooth everything is - It took me a while just to make out the four points where the fence is fixed into the stock. I can't believe someone actually made this!!

My sincerest thanks to whoever crafted such a fine instrument!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 290
DiscoStu":23zrabdf said:
I was delighted to receive a pair of beautifully made marking gauges.
I think anyone would be delighted with those. They look lovely.

I am interested to know what people think about the wedges being along the beam. When/why would that be better than wedges going across the beam, and when/why would cross-beam wedges be preferable?

I'm pretty sure I know who made both of those marking gauges - the wooden pair and the brass - bit of a givaway really :)

Interested to note you say the brass weight helps it mark - it looks quiote long and I'd have thought it was a tad back heavy, but maybe that's just the optical effect?

rafezetter":2rkn3ia7 said:
Interested to note you say the brass weight helps it mark - it looks quiote long and I'd have thought it was a tad back heavy, but maybe that's just the optical effect?
It is quite long, yes, but the solid brass disc makes for a good balance point, especially with the solid screw adding to the weight. You'll have to come round and try it to see what I mean, but it really does feel effortless!

Phil, thaks for taking up the mantle again, I will definately be signing up again. Could I requeste a minor addition to this, could we ask participants to make sure that their interests in their profile are up to date. I have ecperience trouble in the past as I try to make something my recipient will like (and hopefully use) and trawling through their back posts can be chalenging.
Regards
James

Jamesc":28yfivnh said:
Phil, thaks for taking up the mantle again, I will definately be signing up again. Could I requeste a minor addition to this, could we ask participants to make sure that their interests in their profile are up to date. I have ecperience trouble in the past as I try to make something my recipient will like (and hopefully use) and trawling through their back posts can be chalenging.
Regards
James

such as repairing machinery and using it? (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Latest posts

Back