sharpening kitchen knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":1ayebje9 said:
Jacob":1ayebje9 said:
Me no expert but tend to believe that a steel is best - it doesn't remove much metal if any but instead reshapes the edge.

Which is fine as long as the steel in the knife is soft enough.
Or the steel in the steel hard enough.

Jacob":nnj4td7e said:
Me no expert but tend to believe that a steel is best - it doesn't remove much metal if any but instead reshapes the edge.

Used to use a regular serrated steel and it would get iron dust on it which had to have come from the knives. Sure it doesn't remove much but clearly some metal is removed.

As I said earlier in the thread I diamond steel is my weapon of choice. Excepting I am removing metal each time but never needing to regrind. Quick, simple and effective.

Jacob":2knl9u85 said:
phil.p":2knl9u85 said:
Jacob":2knl9u85 said:

Which is fine as long as the steel in the knife is soft enough.
Or the steel in the steel hard enough.
It wouldn't matter if the steel was the hardest thing known to man - if the steel in the knife is too hard it won't forge cold. If you're not removing metal that's what you are doing.

So sharpening knives is beset with hidden problems for the unwary?
Like woodwork tools; the less you know about sharpening, the more you stick to simple trad methods, the less kit you have, the easier and faster it is and your tools last longer !
Surprise surprise! :lol: :lol:
Good to end the year with a sharpening thread. Post brexit perhaps we will be free of Euro sharpening nonsense!!!

I have a Japanese knife that was bought for my 40th.
I wouldn't have bought it (but I never took it back either it was very shiny). I love it. I'll admit that. I certainly don't need it. But it's a pleasure to use.
It gets done by hand on my ultex stones from the shed as do all the other (cheap) knives. Never seen any need to raise an wire as the knives just don't ever get that blunt. They are cutting vegetables and meat 5 minutes daily at most.
Mostly they just get 20 secs on the 1200, held at an approximate angle. The 600 if I have let them go for a while.

Occasionally I'll go through the grades but only the Japanese knife seems to benefit in any real sense of actual performance. I think my normal knives just can't get that sharp tbh . The steel is just not really good enough.
Might even rub it on the old bit of leather if it's summat like Christmas Day and I feel like a bit of ritual lol.
(Or Human Sacrifice). (hammer)
It's sharp enough that people see you cutting the turkey and look a little uncomfortable. I think its genetic memory.
:D

Also.
If you quietly sing:
'It put's the lotion on it's skin!'
Under your breath but just loud enough for people to hear while carving the Christmas Turkey you can have all sorts of interesting conversations with your inlaws...
DAMHIKT.

:|

I have a couple similar to this, one in the kitchen & one in the shed

Knife sharpener 2.jpg

£1 each. Carbide & ceramic rods

Attachments

• Knife sharpener 2.jpg
    Knife sharpener 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 457
In a moment (well, quite a few moments actually) of madness I made this:

KnifeSharpener.JPG

(steel, brass, bubinga). It's a pimped up version of the Edge Pro - apart from the absence of nasty plastic bits it has the advantage of a screw for micro-adjustment of the bevel angle :wink: . It worked well, but I ended up selling it to someone on a blades forum, telling myself I'd make myself a MKII which I never did. I now use a Sorby Pro-Edge belt grinder with the knife grinding kit if I'm having a sharpening session- with the trizact belts and a strop it's possible to get a silly-sharp edge. But mostly a couple of swipes on a diamond 'steel' gets the job done. Heresy amongst serious knife people I know, but it works, and life is too short....
Robin

Attachments

• KnifeSharpener.JPG
    KnifeSharpener.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 314
is the pro edge knife kit worth the cost? I have considered it, but not got it.

It's only a linisher, very like many others. Expensive but nicely put together. It'll sell well to the gadget freaks (lots of jigs etc) but for normal sharpening a cheaper linisher would do just as well.

Latest posts

Back