Time and motion puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Its well known my brain dont do complicated maths, so i'm asking for help.

background first;
I like my clocks to be accurate, not talking decimal places of a second, but to the minute. I have three around the house, and of course the laptop and the mobile. Every so often I check they are all singing from the same page. About 4 days ago (no reason, it just happened) i checked them all against the laptops internet time.
OK, so far that means my clocks are definitely to the minute. Right?

Wrong (apparently). yesterday I was standing next to the radio and heard the GMT midday pips. looking at the two clocks in view where I was, BOTH clocks were reading 2 minutes SLOW.

You have to factor in I am 2 hours ahead of GMT, and to be atomic clock correct I am 2 hours and 2 minutes ahead.
If thats correct, and disregarding the actual hour displayed, my clocks should have been 2 minutes FAST, not 2 minutes slow. yes?

W.T.F.? Who stole 4 minutes of my life without asking first?

Your computer can easily have the time wrong. My old one used to suffer that.

Also, digital radio has a built in delay, so the time signal on that doesn't co-ordinate with the time signal on FM or LW stations.

I used the internet to check the time, not the laptop clock. It had me located to within 10 miles of where I actually live. so no time zone issues.
This wasnt digital radio, it was the BBC on BFBS FM. No way they can be two minutes adrift. If they are, whats the point of broadcasting wrong pips?
I have an atomic clock, although I have now disabled that feature, it was impossible to have that clock 2 minutes faster than anything else on the island.

Internet, smartphones, radios?
Can you not just phone the Speaking Clock like any rational human being??!! :lol:

Back