Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MusicMan":1kly5dua said:
Very nice Cretan double-headed axe, though the Minotaur should have just horns not an axe, and Theseus used a sword on it. Note also the dress code for the Minotaur, you'll be a hit at the party :)

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... AHoECAQQBg

Ah well thankfully I’m not one for historical accuracy, so I can carry my axe, and won’t scare the bejesus out of my colleagues by turning up in my birthday suit and a set of horns.

F.

Picture frame, 50 x 50 cm.
_MG_8093.jpg

Not sure - looks like it's waiting for the joints to be tapped into place.

Attachments

• _MG_8093.jpg
    _MG_8093.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 280
Chris152":1fvbfgg1 said:
Picture frame, 50 x 50 cm.

Not sure - looks like it's waiting for the joints to be tapped into place.
Like the concept and the exploration but I agree.
If I could add anything I would recall Mr Miyagi's (paraphrased, it's been a while...) advice on karate.

Walk left side of road. No karate. Fine.
Walk right side of road. Do Karate. Fine.
Walk middle of road. Get squish by car.

No gap. Fine.
Big gap. Fine.
Middle of road. Look like cut 4 times and still too short.

7dn9pce.png

Like the way you try new things Chris. It's refreshing.
My gut feeling (look at me go now.... Sorbonne Graduate that I am all of a sudden. I'll be wearing hats with feathers in them soon and round purple spectacles).
Expand the gap and either match the dowel to the darker wood (maple)?. Possibly stain it very dark. Black. Or steel/copper round bar with epoxy as dowel. Edit. I just had an idea. That copper pipe for air con units/cooling machinery. 5mm
Contrast Dahhhhlink. Contrast!

ldyoNqx.jpg

Right I gotta go and do the washing up. :D
Cheers
Chris

I think you (and Mr Miyagi) hit the nail on the head/ upright onto the dowel, Chris - it's not enough one thing or the other, and loses it somewhere between. It's ok as a first trial, but the spaces and dowels need to be more of a feature if it can work. And chrome rods instead of dowels did occur, but I didn't have any to try. I'm also going to check out copper - that could look great against the wood?

Hot stuff - that's a nice idea and could improve the look of the frame - there's something wrong with the main structure having the spaces and the inset not having them. When I read that, I thought maybe I should have a go at altering it - then I remembered that once the picture/ mount and glass are in place, the new spaces will allow them to be seen which could look a mess. I think it'd look better as an object, but not so much as a frame. Which might well be the fundamental flaw with the whole idea!

Really appreciate your comments both, I'll bear them in mind if I try another. Meanwhile, wax on, wax off on this one, and it'll be done and I'll be a master of the martial arts...

Suggestion - Remove the dark lining, refit the joints to a tight fit (if not already glued), then cut the lining to the correct dimension.

John

Tyreman
The table got wet from a rain shower when I was taking photos on the lawn :(
I gave the table to a neighbour
Timber is from South Plank -- reasonable price imho
Was expecting reclaimed timber, but it's not -- some interesting varieties of wood too

They don't mind you sifting through the wood piles to select the better stuff

On the A6 just south of Garstang

Cordy, you SURE thats walnut? never seen walnut that red. looks like rosewood to my monitor screen.
i like it =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Yes Bob it's Walnut

Must be the Ultra- violet effect we get in mytown :)

A repro. of a plane found at grave 702 at Bajuwarenstraße, Straubing, Bavaria, Germany, dating from the late 6th to early 7th century AD. The original was made of antler but I have made mine of yew.

Attachments

• IMG_6292C.jpg
    IMG_6292C.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_6291C.jpg
    IMG_6291C.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_6288C.jpg
    IMG_6288C.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_6287C.jpg
    IMG_6287C.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 350
Thanks, it is quite convenient to use when you get used to the hold. An interesting feature is the iron angle of 34 degrees, which is very low for a bevel down plane. This means that the mouth opening is very large. However the front of the mouth is near to the cutting edge so the effective mouth gap is small. It works well along the grain and on end grain

Lovely job!
Just asking, out of the dozen or so historically significant archaeological specimens of early planes, how many have you made so far, and how many more until you have a complete set? :)

Thanks Andy,
This is the 5th plane (but the 4th type as I made two copies of the Sarre Saxon plane). I think the Finkum plane may be next. The Mary Rose planes are possibles too if I can obtain dimensions and good enough photos of the originals. I feel sure that the Romans would have had jack and bigger planes made of wood that haven't survived. I might make a "Roman" jack plane based on my guess of how it should look, with general dimensions similar to one of our jacks but with an "in the body" rear handle. Still a Roman bench to be made too .....

Back