Bathroom/loo pull switch replacement?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
We are now in our new to us bungalow. Due to the wonderful safety law the wet room and second loo have both got ceiling mounted pull switches that almost need a bell ringer to operate. They also sound like a bell ringer is doing his best but instead of the ring there's a very loud CLICK!

My question is, is there any kind of switch around that would replace the pull switch and be remote controlled, but wall mounted, the remote bit that is?

Yeah, they're funny those ceiling pull switches, aren't they? Don't see them here either Jon.

What we do see here is a movement sensor (adjustable type so you can be sure it WILL come on when you go to the loo, etc), and I GUESS the "right type" could be mounted on the ceiling instead of the existing pull switch.

Not all that expensive here either - guess about 20 quid equivalent.

HTH

Just had our bathroom done out. I think (?) that you now need an isolator box outside of the bathroom/ wet room if you change the lights, extractor or switches. Had ours put just inside the loft hatch rather than on the wall. Obviously if you do it yourself.......

There used to be, maybe still are, two different current ratings for ceiling pull switches.

1. Quiet, light current 5amp rated Light switches.
2. Noisy (due to heavier contact rating) ones (15-20amps?) for controlling heaters.
The latter do need a heavier pull and do sound noisier mounted on a nicely resonant ceiling.

May be just replacing the 'defective' switch with a lighter rated version could be the answer.

AES":xgmr9wsg said:
.......What we do see here is a movement sensor (adjustable type so you can be sure it WILL come on when you go to the loo, etc), and I GUESS the "right type" could be mounted on the ceiling instead of the existing pull switch.

Not all that expensive here either - guess about 20 quid equivalent.

HTH

You can find them for half that. Make sure you get the "occupancy" type, so that you don't have to keep moving to remind the light that you're in the room.

MikeG wrote, QUOTE: You can find them for half that. Make sure you get the "occupancy" type. UNQUOTE:

Undoubtedly Mike, but in UK, NOT Switzerland. Here EVERYTHING is dearer that it should be (AND our "Government" seems proud of the fact)! evil:

Back