Antique shop finds and a mystery object.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Mooching around Hungerford the other day I popped into one of the antique shops that was still open (is there any higher concentration of antique shops in the UK than Hungerford btw?). There were some beautiful tools on display - I'm of the opinion that tools should be used but hey if you want to collect them then have at it. These were all on sale for exorbitant prices but hey ho.

First up were these beautiful old calipers and a Sorby gentleman's drawknife:

0p0ryQv.jpg

These planes were also lovely:

0u3N9vm.jpg

This device is a knife cleaner, very cool! I'd never seen one before.

dTkuDyh.jpg

And this enormous clamp was some sort of mystery. Anyone know what it might have been used for?

TMxYasd.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks "what is that in the background?.................." when there is a pic shown

Ha ha no. I just had another look, forget to get a good pic of that tape measure you can see in the corner of the frame with the planes.

I'm not certain, but I think the big clamp is for a bookbinder to use. First, you stitch the folded sheets into individual sections. Then you clamp all the sections side by side, round off the back, and sew/tape them together. Or something like that. Search for bookbinder sewing clamp and you'll see some similar devices. I think this suggestion is consistent with the damage along the inside edges. But bookbinding is not something I have any practical experience of, so I don't know what range of similar clamps actually get used.

Btw, I reckon the tools in your first few photos are horribly over-polished, and less desirable because of it. No craftsman would ever have made them look like that.

AndyT":1lzzeku2 said:
Btw, I reckon the tools in your first few photos are horribly over-polished, and less desirable because of it. No craftsman would ever have made them look like that.
You think that's bad?
Head up to Eversley Barn Antiques - There's a local guy there who does up tools for consignment, but he typically polishes the metal parts with the Power of Greyskull!!
Seriously, nice wooden-handled hammers, draw-knives and axes, all looking like they've been chromed by Harley & Davidson personally... :shock: 8)

Like shabby-chic, it seems to be the fashion these days...

agree with andyt, they are over polished, it actually de-values them, (I want to see patina) those are some expensive prices, wouldn't pay what they're asking for any of them.

Thanks Andy! Very interesting. And yes I agree about the tools but I suppose craftsmen aren't the demographic they're aiming for. Still though, I'd like the dividers and drawknife regardless. I could probably dirty them up pretty quickly... (homer)

It does make me wonder who buys that sort of stuff and why.

Yes, it's odd, isn't it? They must appreciate the tools quite a lot, to spend so much - maybe they have an irrational fear of dirt?

Apart from the issue of damaging sensitive retinas with the brightness, removing all the patina can destroy information about how a tool was used. A frequent example is with a plough plane - the body is a bit 'blocky' so it's not immediately obvious how to hold it. But a good old one will be blackish on much of the surface, with clear clean areas showing just where your hands should go.

(And £230 for the non-plated button brace is ridiculous - I paid less than a tenner on eBay for mine. )

Go back there at once and find out what they want for that tape measure. I have my fathers one identical to that!
With those prices I might be able to buy my next ferrari if I sell it on. :shock: 8)

Tasky":38j8iyba said:
AndyT":38j8iyba said:
You think that's bad?
Head up to Eversley Barn Antiques - There's a local guy there who does up tools for consignment, but he typically polishes the metal parts with the Power of Greyskull!!
Seriously, nice wooden-handled hammers, draw-knives and axes, all looking like they've been chromed by Harley & Davidson personally... :shock: 8)

Like shabby-chic, it seems to be the fashion these days...

Seen those, really do need sun glasses!
Last time I was in there, he had a Record No5, all shiny, price not too far off interesting.

Bod

Bod":1i4jnp99 said:
Last time I was in there, he had a Record No5, all shiny, price not too far off interesting.
Bod
To be fair, most of what I'd actually buy has been left with patina and just tidied up a bit. Got a nice No4 and No5 from the same place and without it being 'chromed' up!

I think most of these shiny monstrosities will end up on the walls of pubs, or something.

Back