Sore Hoarses MkII - Now with added plans!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't agree more. The best design should solve a problem, and nothing else. As simple as possible but not simpler. The brief of a sawhorse I reckon is like this:
  • flat surface to dimension wood
    stable
    cheap
    portable
    comfortable

I would say the original sawhorse was designed to kneel on the piece you were sawing. This design is different, it's for dimensioning sheet materials. A job for which actual sawhorses are badly suited. This design should probably be called something else, a sheet sawhorse, or something!

So the brief is the same, but the work method is different, so 'comfortable' isn't knee height anymore, it's more like bench height to use a plunge saw, router or whatever. Also, for this design, being made from one sheet defines it.

Like you say, when a design is, not perfected, but reaches a tipping point of improvement, it becomes necessary - then common - and then invisible in it's ubiquity. Like a door, or a kitchen chair, or a coat hook. Not that the sore hoarse is headed for MoMa or anything, but it's really useful, really simple and a few iterations of design might improve it slightly. It's fun to nerd out on it a bit. now back to work.

I'd forgotten about this design, but having suffered dimensioning some sheets not long ago on my knees on our deck propped on 2x4's this looks perfect for any in the future, and your mod of height and legs is also perfect for me as I'm 6'2 as well.

To add rigidity to the legs so they don't bow under weight if I use it as an assembly bench, I think I'll add some strips on the legs at 90deg.

Hiya,

How can I also get plans for this?

Many thanks
Sammy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Got this done yesterday. The legs are rigid end to end, but side to side is a bit wobbly. The horizontals are a good idea might pop them on soon. Added a sacrificial top so I can take strips off the length. Its already been really useful.
12bbc773c53917fe1bdf0c506a4fdef2.jpg
caf20860a5b0b461dc50b95e52328c13.jpg

Sent from my X9pro using Tapatalk

sammy.se":gtlx2kk4 said:
Hiya,

How can I also get plans for this?

Many thanks
Sammy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can you PM me and I'll send on what I have?

Steve Maskery":1jwubx0z said:
Very nice, H, very nice. How high has it ended up, please?
Steve, 912mm including the 18mm top.

Much better with the rails. I popped in a wedge to hold them in place. The top is now the same size as the long rails and its a better shape.
c32b15aaedd23696b5f76ed08c98d777.jpg
498300beb4262f615ecd7863dbd2c407.jpg
1a65b1c8907504e39b8bde0fe2093d59.jpg

Steve Maskery":163ow38r said:
Excellent, H, but did that mean breaking into another sheet?
Yes but for my use it needs a sacrificial top for dimensioning sheets, so I took it off the length. I guess it’s more pure from one sheet - you could definitely take two strips from the top rails and give up some height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be making a set of these for my new workshop for sure!

Would you consider relinquishing the sketchup for that design Helvetica? It sure would be appreciated...

You don't see a screen that looks like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-28 11.49.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-28 11.49.50.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 272
can you get to the dropbox homepage? I wonder could you be behind a firewall or something. You know what, send me a PM and we'll take this off the thread!

Back