Freesat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geoff_S":3bwlqgab said:
paulm":3bwlqgab said:
Geoff_S":3bwlqgab said:
paulm said:
New humax box arrived yesterday, decided to swap out the sky hd box straight away even though there's a couple of weeks of the notice period and usage still left (given how little we watch sky stuff anyway).

A doddle to set up, and the answer to my own original question, yes, the new freesat box picks up all the bbc channels too that the sky box wasnt, so job done and no satellite messing required ! :)

The picture quality on freesat looks better to me also, always felt that sky pictures were a little less sharp, don't know if their box degrades the pictures/signal for some reason? Not drastic, but noticable....

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, you had a Sky dish and just plugged this into the Humax box, set it up and it worked?

Wow, if that's all it is, I'm off to buy a Humax box! Which model did you get?
Yep, unplugged sky plus box and plugged in the humax freesat box to the same satellite dish cables, and worked straight away, no issues :)

There's only a couple of versions on amazon, the 500gb capacity one we got that was about 170pds and the 1tb capacity for a bit more. Can't get the specifics at the moment, nut just make sure you get a humax freesat box and not a humax freeview box, tjey do both versions the former being for use with satellites and dishes and the latter being for use with arials.

Thanks Paul

It's the aerial reception that I am having the problem with. For instance and the most obvious problem is that BBC 4 in HD either will not load or disappears completely off of the list! And I am sure other channels are dropping off. Maybe being able to use my old Sky dish will solve this? So are you able to see BBC4 in HD on your Humax box?

Cheers
Just had a look Geoff, it's listed on the programme guide but looks like no content until 7pm if i'm understanding it correctly, so can't absolutely confirm at the moment. Will try and remember to have another look later !

Just a small point but if anyone is switching from Sky Q to Freesat you’ll likely need to change your LNB although not your dish. The dedicated Sky Q LNBs only have two connectors and won’t work with freesat.

paulm":2eimvsii said:
Geoff_S":2eimvsii said:
paulm":2eimvsii said:
Geoff_S said:
paulm said:
New humax box arrived yesterday, decided to swap out the sky hd box straight away even though there's a couple of weeks of the notice period and usage still left (given how little we watch sky stuff anyway).

A doddle to set up, and the answer to my own original question, yes, the new freesat box picks up all the bbc channels too that the sky box wasnt, so job done and no satellite messing required ! :)

The picture quality on freesat looks better to me also, always felt that sky pictures were a little less sharp, don't know if their box degrades the pictures/signal for some reason? Not drastic, but noticable....

Just to be clear, you had a Sky dish and just plugged this into the Humax box, set it up and it worked?

Wow, if that's all it is, I'm off to buy a Humax box! Which model did you get?
Yep, unplugged sky plus box and plugged in the humax freesat box to the same satellite dish cables, and worked straight away, no issues :)

There's only a couple of versions on amazon, the 500gb capacity one we got that was about 170pds and the 1tb capacity for a bit more. Can't get the specifics at the moment, nut just make sure you get a humax freesat box and not a humax freeview box, tjey do both versions the former being for use with satellites and dishes and the latter being for use with arials.

Thanks Paul

It's the aerial reception that I am having the problem with. For instance and the most obvious problem is that BBC 4 in HD either will not load or disappears completely off of the list! And I am sure other channels are dropping off. Maybe being able to use my old Sky dish will solve this? So are you able to see BBC4 in HD on your Humax box?

Cheers
Just had a look Geoff, it's listed on the programme guide but looks like no content until 7pm if i'm understanding it correctly, so can't absolutely confirm at the moment. Will try and remember to have another look later !

Just tried BBC4 HD again now Geoff and works fine :)

Sawdust Sam":4xd8nqvk said:
Just a small point but if anyone is switching from Sky Q to Freesat you’ll likely need to change your LNB although not your dish. The dedicated Sky Q LNBs only have two connectors and won’t work with freesat.
You can buy a LNB from ebay dealers quite reasonably but when I had Sky Q installed I insisted they change the LNB for a multi outlet, I think it has 8 as I already had a Zgemma box and we have a second sky box in another room.

I still have basic Sky so usually watch through that but can get all the free to air channels ( I think ) and that definitely includes BBC 4 'cos I've just checked on the Zgemma box :)

Well I bit the bullet and went for Freeview Humax FVP-5000T rather than Freesat as the Freeview allows upto 4 channels to be recorded at 5he same time so is similar to Sky Q in that regard. It was a doddle to set and I now have about 180 channels plus all the catch up and on demand stuff without any monthly outlay.

Picture quality via my existing aerial is outstanding, I was pleasantly surprised the picture is at least as good as Sky Q. I’ve now cancelled Sky Q.

I’ll likely get the equivalent Humax Freesat for another room in the house.

I've had Freesat for 8 years. Works fine. Only drawback is that Channel4 removed the HD channel a while ago.

TBH, I watch the integrated net players on my LG TV much more than the over the air channels. For example, iPlayer is in 4K for certain programs as well, which it isn't for over the air.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back