Robland (Startrite) SD310 planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danstewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a frightening experience this morning where my Robland (Startrite) SD310 planer thicknesser blade caught on the infeed table causing the blade to shoot across the workshop. The issue appears to be a loose screw on the cutter block housing that caused so play in the block allowing it to touch the infeed table. I managed to find the blade but cannot find the spacer that sits behind it (see attached photo). Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement on of these? thanks in advance.
Dan

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 254
Danstewart":20z5e372 said:
I managed to find the blade but cannot find the spacer that sits behind it (see attached photo). Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement on of these?

That must've been an absolutely horrifying noise. Did it cause any damage to the infeed table or were you lucky? It's always worth having a very close look for cracks after an impact like that on cast iron as you could end up with a lump of cast dropping into the cutter before long!

What you're looking for is what is called a "Gib", you might be able to find one that would fit the machine but if all else fails these two might be able to help:

www.altsawsandspares.co.uk/spares.html
https://www.machinespares.net/

Hi Trevanion

That's really helpful thank you. I can't see any cracks but it has "shaved" a small section of metal off the underside if the infeed table. It doesn't look like it would interfere with it operating though. I am terrified of starting it up again but can't afford a new one :( . I have been in touch with Robland and they said they think the gib for my one is the same as the new ones so they are looking into it for me! Thanks again for responding.
Dan

Danstewart":4sqf7jif said:
Hi Trevanion
I am terrified of starting it up again but can't afford a new one :( .

I wouldn't even think of starting it up again without having the other blade and gib in place as having only one (Or however many other ones there are on the block) would cause it to rotate out of balance causing serious vibration and possibly further damage to the machine, especially the bearings.

Best thing would be to find the one you've lost.

Yes sorry I wasn't planning to start it with only one in place. I've just lost confidence in it generally. Thanks I'll keep looking for it!!

Lucky escape, it could have been a lot worse.

On looking at your picture the blade that is in there looks very small. ( Maybe just the picture)

I would check out the minimum blade size before you run the machine again, as this could be why you lost the blade.

ok thanks Tomtwark,

These are just the blades I bought with it so I assumed they would be fine. Not sure whether sharpening over the years has had an impact on them. they do appear to adjust correctly and have been working ok. I wll have another look at the manual although I dont think it specifiies (this is an old machine).

I have one of these and it can easily be done. You probably need to adjust the two height screws that fit into the two slots on the blade down quite a bit before retightening all the bolts that should hold the gib in. Also make sure you get rid of all the resin that builds up in the vicinity. Once you think you have it correct then double check that the depth of cut bar when lowered to zero and you spin the drum by hand doesnt cause the blade to hit the table. Its a possibility that the depth of cut wasnt zero when you installed the new blades. They are good machines if set up right but a little finicky . I have a new set of blades to install in the new year on mine. Hope this helps.
Danny

Hi Danny

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you are referring to my the depth of cut bar? I have a lever on the outfeed table which is always set as high as it will go?

Mine is on right side of the infeed table. Take a look at the manual it has some info on setting blades. So when you adjust or insert the blades they should barely touch the ruler/straight edge which you use on the outfeed table when setting it.
Danny

Hi Danny yes I think you are referring to the height adjuster on the outfeed table which is set at 0. I did read the manual and have set the blades ok as I have been using it for a out a year changing the blades regularly. I think what has happened is that one of the bolts holding the whole cutting block in place has worked it's way loose and allowed some movement just enough to catch the indeed table. Good lesson to periodically tighten everything!

Back