Iroko strip double-glazed front door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
A while back I asked for some advice on making a front door - many thanks for the helpful replies, and especially to user Trevanion who shared profiles and advice on weatherseals etc.

Anyway, finally finished this recently! A few glitches - the inevitable router incident or two along the way - I'd do it better the next time but overall still very happy with it.

iroko-front-door-1.jpg

iroko-front-door-2.jpg

iroko-front-door-3.jpg

iroko-front-door-5.jpg

iroko-front-door-7.jpg

front-door-progress-6.jpg

I'm not that good at taking work-in-progress pics! But there are a few more on my blog, linked in my sig. But again, many thanks to all here for the encouragement and inspiration that the forum provides :)

I was wondering how this was coming along. I must admit, that is some very good craftsmanship!

I really like that, definitely not your run of the mill front door. Is that your own design?
Is that a wireless doorbell? I'm guessing the wee panel at the back is removable for access to change batteries.
Well cool, you must be chuffed with that.

Trevanion":h0gk26ck said:
I was wondering how this was coming along. I must admit, that is some very good craftsmanship!

Thanks again for your help - and my thanks for your comment :) My craftsmanship is still a work-in-progress - but this was a challenge, certainly. I think particularly that it was oiled - painting hides a multitude of sins, so I had to approach this as I would a piece of furniture, making everything fit as closely as possible.

Hoping to tackle something smaller next time!

Hot stuff":35t2wm7p said:
I really like that, definitely not your run of the mill front door. Is that your own design?
Is that a wireless doorbell? I'm guessing the wee panel at the back is removable for access to change batteries.
Well cool, you must be chuffed with that.

Many thanks! I had the design roughly figured out - I did a garage door earlier this year that was kind of a trial run - but found a few similar ones online that I cribbed a couple of ideas from.

The doorbell was a challenge - it's a Honeywell model, but the stock button wasn't going to look the part, so the visible button is just a standard button. They do a transmitter that lets you attach to a button, but it was a bit big and I didn't want to stick it on the inside of the door. Instead I hotwired the fancy button to the (smaller) wireless button and made a recess to hide it in :)

Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-03-03.jpg
Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-06-21.jpg

Sorry for poor quality but you get the idea - it's crazy how much minutae like this was involved in this...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-03-03.jpg
    Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-03-03.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 745
  • Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-06-21.jpg
    Screenshot from 2018-12-09 21-06-21.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 746
That recess in which the door sits, between those two return walls, is just crying out for a roof. That would take that door pretty much out of the weather.

Matthew, just had a look at your website, some really nice projects there, I like the sort of minimalist look which seems to be your design preference, eg in your ply storage unit. Excellent work!

Marineboy":9zuhqwih said:
Matthew, just had a look at your website, some really nice projects there, I like the sort of minimalist look which seems to be your design preference, eg in your ply storage unit. Excellent work!

What he said ^.

I'm an ex-electronics engineer myself and keep putting off a nixie build. Never heard of the FLW version - I think I now need one in my life.

Latest posts

Back