Drive Centres.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenboy-01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I purchased a set of 4 drive centres, three of them are self explanatory but there is one, called a cup centre with no locating point that protrudes it is similar to a hole punch, will enclose photo's, it will be obvious to most of you, except me, searched the internet but as yet to no avail.

Regards Ken

Attachments

• 20181208_090350.jpg
    20181208_090350.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 544
  • 20181208_090517.jpg
    20181208_090517.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 544
I think that this sort of centre is for when you are working on something that is part finished, so you have formed a protrusion on the work piece that will then locate in the centre of the recess.

It is called a ring centre an is very useful where a point is not required as it will not push into the wood as far as the pointed type.

Also is it is hollow it can be used with an auger type bit designed for the lathe so it enables you to drill down the centre of a piece of wood to make something like a table lamp which needs a hole right up the centre.

Better ones will have removable centre that you can retract or remove to suit. When you use it it leaves a circular mark which it pays to put a bit of wax in, it helps stop burning. It pays to keep the speed down a bit if you can, as well.

Ken, I PM'd you over your lathe query.
If you contact me, you can either pop over & see me or I can come to you.

A revolving ring centre is also used to support a laminated spindle, especially one using paper joints for later separation. Using a conventional centre would force them apart.

Back