Weekly Discussion Topic - Week 3 - Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
So, allow me to through a random one in.

As the Christmas markets / preparations / hype starts to get into full speed with the turning of the calendar page, lets spend a couple of days understanding what it means for us humble workshop warriors.

What’s on you realistic woodturning toys Christmas list?
What’s on your lottery woodturning Christmas list?

Do you make decorations? If so what and lets share some pictures.
Do you do Christmas craft sales - anything particularly Christmassy that sells well (as distinct from rest of year craft sales - we’ll save that one for another week!)?

So over to you, let the St Nicholas (or Grinch) in all of us be set free!

Simon

Realistically I can't afford what I would like but as far as the lottery win list there would be too much to list new workshop would be the top of it being larger than what I have.

Last year i made some nutcracker soldiers from the Woodturning magazine and am at present making the Angle and miner candle holders also from the magazine. Normally I just take my own design route and don't copy but these I did enjoy making.

The Nutcrackers

DSCF8688 - Copy (1024x766).jpg

DSCF8693 - Copy (765x1024).jpg

The Angle and Miner work in progress

DSCF0734 (800x600).jpg

DSCF0736 (600x800).jpg

DSCF0737 (600x800).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8688 - Copy (1024x766).jpg
    DSCF8688 - Copy (1024x766).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 937
  • DSCF8693 - Copy (765x1024).jpg
    DSCF8693 - Copy (765x1024).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 937
  • DSCF0734 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0734 (800x600).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 937
  • DSCF0736 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF0736 (600x800).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 937
  • DSCF0737 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF0737 (600x800).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 937
Looks like you could do a couple of days looking around the workshops in Seiffen Derek, suggest you pick one of the warmer months though, This Video from about 6 minutes in might give you some ideas on keeping the other half busy helping with your production.

There's some interesting turning techniques to be seen using simplified machines and traditional tooling.

(The nod to health and safety in the traditional workshop areas open to the public can be interesting to say the least.)

Besides the ornamental side of the turning there are very small (25-30sqmtr.) family workshops turning out models for military displays and weddings etc. right down to exact facial details from photographic images. (need a knowledgeable guide to find these family homes)

The variety of decorations seen might give some ideas regarding simple ring turning and more detailed assembly techniques.

We've decided I have to make a dish as part of the Christmas decorations. I turned this this morning, the wood was pretty nasty and it felt like I was trying to cut it with a spoon. But got there in the end, with lots of help from sandpaper.
_MG_8086.jpg

It's finished with just shellac sanding sealer, and I might have to put something to fill the crack in the knot on the rim - resin or ca glue, which'll mean remounting and sanding again I suppose.

I think I want to write 'Merry' on the top edge of the rim, 'Christmas' on the bottom, and then figure a way each year to write the year (by hand, with a pen) on the rim. Something like that, anyway. The rim's 5cm.

What do you reckon is the easiest/ best way to get Merry Christmas written on it? I'd love to be able to carve it into the rim but I know that'll be dreadful on account of lack of skill. Any thoughts on other options?
Thanks
C

Attachments

• _MG_8086.jpg
    _MG_8086.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 851
Chris152":vjjqzec1 said:
... I might have to put something to fill the crack in the knot on the rim - resin or ca glue..
My choice would be dark sanding dust or fine coffee grounds and thin CA, form a dam around the area with masking tape to hold the dust in place for the few seconds it takes to drip on the CA and set.

If you are afraid of too much CA flowing where you don't want it, put CA on end of coffee stiring stick or spill and then you limit the application quantity.

Thanks Chas - I filled a crack before following your advice (I think) using CA glue and coffee, worked very well - except that I think I didn't let it dry hard enough, so a couple of really small, thinner sections fell back out on sanding. That's the most likely cause (sanding too soon)?

As Chas's answer for filling gaps and the like for larger ones apply ca glue and then sprinkle the filler in keep doing this until filled. If you try putting the filler in first it may not soak in completely.
As for writing on the rim you can use a sharpie type pen but you will need to seal the wood first and to make it permanent put a finish over that but be careful as some finishes will react with the pen ink. The best thing in my view is to use a pyrography machine.

An item that I fancy making for Christmas are some nut crackers. For these you will need a screw thread cutting set

Some thing else worth making to hang on the tree are the little bird houses that I have made in the past as well as other hanging ornaments your imagination is the only limit.

DSCF0461 (800x516).jpg

DSCF0462 (800x541).jpg

DSCF5772-001 (800x531).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0461 (800x516).jpg
    DSCF0461 (800x516).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCF0462 (800x541).jpg
    DSCF0462 (800x541).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCF5772-001 (800x531).jpg
    DSCF5772-001 (800x531).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 820
Totally inspired by all these pictures. Particularly liking the metallic bird boxes Dalboy. I've just spent a unsuccessful half-hour on Google so now I have to ask, who produces the metallic finishes and any tips on application please?

Redkite":25ls5pou said:
Totally inspired by all these pictures. Particularly liking the metallic bird boxes Dalboy. I've just spent a unsuccessful half-hour on Google so now I have to ask, who produces the metallic finishes and any tips on application please?

There are three brands of paints used, And where I got them from.

Jo Sonja (The original ones I got of these were from Turners retreat)
Chestnut Iridescent paints (Olivers Woodturning)
Golden Iridescent and Interference paints (Olivers Woodturning)

all applied over chestnut Ebonising spray

Many thanks Dalboy, now I can drop some hints about pre-Christmas presents. Need to get cracking in the shed if they're to make it onto the tree for this year.

My turning wish list was fulfilled last month when I bought myself the Axminster AH-1218VS small lathe along with their SK-100 chuck. I don't envisage turning becoming a predominant activity in my shed but I do want to be able to turn pieces for modelling in the future.

I have a few turning tools and an obligation to make a wooden christmas trinkets for family (and friends this year) so I decided to practice my turning by knocking out some snowmen. I've completed about 20 so far and and am half way through the list of recipients. Here are a few of them just waiting for a ribbon scarf to be added.
Snowmen.jpg

The first thing I've learnt is that I don't like turning the recycled pine I had lying around! but I started so I'll finish (hardwoods seem to be much more satisfying to turn). The hats are either oak or sapele and I splashed out on some padauk for the noses. Buttons and eyes are dressmaker pins.

I'm in awe of the previous posters turning abilities and, if I keep at it, I hope to get somewhere close in a few years!!!

PS If I won the lottery I wouldn't know where to start but I do know I'd need a bigger shed :)

Hi All

I know that I won't be getting any turning related presents, but I do know that a good many satisfied customers from last weeks 3 day show will be. These range from standard biros, through shaving brushes to a couple of large bowls and a lovely 'pebble' lam.

As for wish list, yes, I agree, first build a bigger shed!!! You know that whatever size it is, you necer have enough space - Parkinson's Law (not Parki) prevails always!!!

Happy Christmas All and keep turning (said as per Strictly!!!)

Phil

Chris152 said
What do you reckon is the easiest/ best way to get Merry Christmas written on it? I'd love to be able to carve it into the rim but I know that'll be dreadful on account of lack of skill. Any thoughts on other options?
Thanks.
I made a platter earlier in the year to commemorate 12 months after the Manchester bomb. The rim carving actually wasn’t that difficult although if I did another one I would make a better job of it. I had “Don’t look back” on the top and “in anger” on the bottom. I used a computer to produce the text in a suitable font and an artistic text function to print it on a curve equivalent to the platter rim. I stuck this to the rim and sort of carved round it with a pyrography tool. I then removed wood with knives and carving burrs. If I did it again I would use carving knives right through the paper to produce a clean edge round the letters, and then remove wood as required. If I did another one, I would consider filling the removed areas with Milliput, probably surrounding the sharp edges of the letters. I would not use pyrography to go round the letters as this left a less tha perfect edge. You could always try on a piece of scrap before committing to the platter. Have fun.

Carving is not that difficult it is setting out the letters so that it looks right is the answer. Yes a steady hand when carving does help.

I produced these by using carving chisels

DSCF1173.JPG

2012-11-11_10-02-56.JPG

DSCF5173 (565x800).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1173.JPG
    DSCF1173.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 564
  • 2012-11-11_10-02-56.JPG
    2012-11-11_10-02-56.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 564
  • DSCF5173 (565x800).jpg