Letter Carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, most skillful carving.
For anyone who might be interested, Chris Pyes Letter Carving In Wood a Practical Course, is very comprehensive, excellent. As are his series of lettercarving videos on his online school.

This came at a very appropriate time as I have a family request for an external house number - location on the top of a hill on the outskirts of Bath, so somewhat exposed. I have some decent oak, also iroko, and a slab of Portland Stone. I did a couple of stone work courses a few years ago, and have the necessary tools. I have had a little practice on oak, but have viewed several UTube videos on letter carving in stone, and it clearly has a different technique from Chris Pye's book on carving in timber.

Any recommendations on timber, and any thoughts on the differences with stone? Also, whether wood or stone, I was thinking of highlighting the incised lettering in black. Either way, I am being somewhat optimistic, but if it doesn't work out well the first time, it will be good practice.
Any recommendations on what to use for the base material and the highlighting?

Thanks Mike

I have a copy of Stone Carving for The Home & Garden by the very well respected woodcarver Steve Bisco...... Project one is actually a house number plaque.

I discovered the Chris Pye book after I'd successfully done some basic letter carving using just the chisels and gouges I already owned.

I agree that in many ways it's a terrific book, but I was astonished to learn that I should have had lots of expensive carving chisels and honing slips that I somehow managed without!

If you're a reasonably experienced woodworker I suggest giving letter carving a go using your existing tools, and only read the Chris Pye book afterwards if you want to take your letter carving to the next level.

I started carving house signs when I was in college in the early 80’s by using just three bevel edge chisels. These were a 10mm, 6mm and 3mm chisel.

I used to write the text direct on the wood itself but found it much better to do it on paper first as it was much easier to correct and space the letters/words correctly. I then transfer it to the wood through carbon paper.

Sharp shallow angled chisels are a must which playa big part in enabling you to cut good serifs. The hardest part is carving curved parts of small letters that have a tight radius.

I still find the best part is over painting the letters and then sanding it back. Blow the dust out of the carvings and you’re left with crisp/sharp lines.

I’ve done hundreds of house signs over the years and quite a lot of commemorative plaques as well using this same technique.

Perseverence will pay like anything else!

Back