New woodturner - lathe recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Currantbun

Reaction score
Hi all, my teenage son is very keen on woodworking and has asked for a lathe for Christmas. He's seen this on amazon - (can't post the link, sorry!)
Sunwin Metal Mini Wood-turning Lathe Woodworking Power Tool.
It only has 2 (terrible) reviews. Obviously I don't want to spend a kings ransom to find he loses interest in a few months, but I do want one that works efficiently and is safe! Any recommendations please?
Thanks

Its not just the lathe, you will need a few basic tools, a sharpening system of some sort, PPE, possibly a chuck and jaws and a face plate.

Go second hand, usually better equipment, cheaper prices and should hold its value if the novelty wears off. Perhaps considering a gift of lessons with a teacher to see if he is committed before the Bank of Dad coughs up?

Don't spend anything. Find a club and take him there, he will get tuition and advice and also get some idea what he is actually interested in before any money is wasted. If he decides he wants to turn pens and miniatures he'll need totally different kit than if he wants to make huge bowls, for example. It's a money pit anyway without buying kit that's either useless or unnecessary. :D

In the meantime buy him a newish copy of this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fo ... odturnings -
- the best beginner's book.

Good advice given so far - where abouts are you in the country?

phil.p":2p142ppw said:
Don't spend anything. Find a club and take him there, he will get tuition and advice and also get some idea what he is actually interested in before any money is wasted. If he decides he wants to turn pens and miniatures he'll need totally different kit than if he wants to make huge bowls, for example. It's a money pit anyway without buying kit that's either useless or unnecessary. :D

In the meantime buy him a newish copy of this -
Keith Rowley - Woodturning A Foundation Coarse

Waterstone's Marketplace is now closed but Alibris was their supplier.
- https://www.alibris.co.uk/booksearch?ke ... 29&hs.y=28
Yes the book is available secondhand for 79p + £2.79 postage
Sunwin lathe would cope with dolls house size items if you get a good one but not much more. If faulty, a lot of hassle to replace or refund.
Take the advice in previous posts.

stewart":1yp04brd said:
Good advice given so far - where abouts are you in the country?
Click on his avatar (or no image circle), to get an info pop up & access to PM or email contact.

Thanks for all the replies and advise.
We are I Warrington, Cheshire. I can't find a course or a Wood-turning group nearby - the nearest group is 45 mins to an hours drive away. However there is an Axminster shop which has a demo session on Saturday, so we are going to pop in there.

Thanks for that info, I had found those groups on the map link, but they are just a little too far away and no do-able at the moment, but I will keep the details.

Currantbun":2zuyl4dp said:
Thanks for all the replies and advise.
We are I Warrington, Cheshire. I can't find a course or a Wood-turning group nearby - the nearest group is 45 mins to an hours drive away. However there is an Axminster shop which has a demo session on Saturday, so we are going to pop in there.

Well worth going there and also gives you the chance to look at lathes. Do not go for the one you spoke about in your first post. Starting with the wrong type of lathe can soon make your son get very down hearted and give up where as a decent lathe is more likely to encourage him.
As mentioned already there is more equipment to buy on top of the lathe ie chisels, chuck bench grinder for sharpening are some of the first things as well as the safety equipment which I see as a must.
Buy good quality and if you do have to sell later at least it will hold its price better than cheap unusable stuff.
Finding some one to guide him is a very good idea

He has a very good design tech teacher and technician at school, and they have a lathe which the technician is going to teach him to use.
I am ever mindful of my dad's little sayings - but cheap buy twice was his favourite closely followed by measure twice, cut once. (he was an engineer! Pity he's no longer with us, I think he would have spent many happy hours in his workshop with my son!

That lathe would be woefully underpowered for anything but the smallest project. It doesn't look very robust either so I would steer clear of it. If the budget is limited, look for a second hand model. You will get much more for your money.

As others have pointed out, you need more than just a lathe - turning tools, grinder for sharpening, chuck etc. etc....

Perhaps you might consider signing your son up as an AWGB member. It's free for junior members and courses are available for a nominal contribution.

Latest posts

Back