We needed a mirror........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you're right. Bevel edges would have looked funny disappearing behind the corner detail, and there was no way of having them trace around that odd shape.

Really nice job Mike, ingenious and very nicely executed. For me the staining spoils it but that's very much a matter of personal taste.

Jim

I made another one. Smaller and more subtle than it's sister:

RhrwC5M.jpg

L9YvxNt.jpg

TqmXWgJ.jpg

I didn't stain this one so dark, but otherwise the manufacture was much the same as the previous one.

Apologies for the poor photos. Lighting conditions were awful, with a window showing in the mirror and it being such a gloomy day. Here's the same mirror in its previous frame (the 1970's called and demanded it back):

ReWiwPn.jpg

I can't tell you about the first mirror, because the stain's original container leaked, so I transfered it to a big plastic container, and my writing on the outside subsequently faded. This latest one I used Colron "Georgian Medium Oak" wood dye, 2 coats of clear water based lacquer, and then because it was a little too red, a coat of Fiddes "Rugger Brown" wax.

Ah, cool - I have some Colron Danish Oil in that same Georgian shade. Looks like you got a great finish from it!

Back