Pocket knjfe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
My trusty pocket knife which has served me well since 1999, due to my own stupidity will have to be retired.
Luckily Christmas is approaching and a friend has offered to replace it as a seasonal gift and has asked which one I would like.

This means I can push the boat out a little, but without being too greedy.

I would like one with a pocket clip and a blade which will hold an edge, not close easily and can be opened one handed. Not too heavy but robust.

Open for recommendations.

Spyderco knives would be worth looking at, unless the untraditional design puts you off. I bought a Spyderco Delica (had to Google the name) from a shop in Los Angeles five or six years ago and the quality is excellent. Prices over here are generally higher, however.

The Heinnie Haynes website has humongous choice, though they're probably not the cheapest shop to buy from.
https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools

Bear in mind if you intend to carry the knife around with you then legally they blade must be under 3in and non-locking.

Mark

Not close easily and open one handed are tough to execute in an EDC legal knife so maybe it would be worth clarifying if that is a concern to you?

Also it is a little more complicated than just sub 3" and non locking as I am trying to explain to leatherman at the moment who keep advertising the Micra as a UK EDC legal tool, it is not.

Spyferco or Heinnie or other, I'm not hung up on makes.

I'm not familiar with all the legalities I thought under 3 " and non locking would do. The chances of the bill having a look in my pocket is slim, but in this day and age who knows. I'll be carrying it at work mostly. Would health and safety require a locking blade.?

Try thebushcraft store they have a selection of knives at reasonable price including folding lockable and non-lockable. There is also an excellent section on knife law advice.
Pete

Rorschach":wrjpm4ho said:
Also it is a little more complicated than just sub 3" and non locking as I am trying to explain to Leatherman at the moment who keep advertising the Micra as a UK EDC legal tool, it is not.

I'm a bit annoyed with them myself at the moment. Weirdly, I had the pouch/sheath for my PST Leatherman nicked a while ago. I found the Leatherman Tools web site, and what I thought was the right pouch, and checked with them by email that it was correct.

I then tried to order it here: their web site hung mid-process. I was in the USA last month and tried again there: same thing. My son also tried (using a US credit card, also PayPal): same result.

It didn't say "out of stock" - it simply didn't work, and I've next to no chance of getting one otherwise.

BTW, getting back on-topic, I can get an edge on both my Victorinox and Leatherman knives, but neither will hold one for any time, which is annoying. In contrast, the cheap, simple Sheffield steel penknife I had as a boy can be kept really sharp. I suspect it's the Chromium added to give rustproofing that softens them - the on-board files are both similar (easily blunted).
I think there is a trade-off: if you want a knife that's maintenance free, it won't hold a good edge. If you want an edge, you have to oil or wax it fairly often to keep rust at bay.

E.

PS: Intend to chase Leatherman by email now I'm back home and have more time.

Eric - If it's any good to you you're welcome to the belt sheath thing which came with my Leatherman Wave, assuming I can find it.

I've never used it.

Mark

Rorschach":1mat5yk6 said:
Also it is a little more complicated than just sub 3" and non locking as I am trying to explain to leatherman at the moment who keep advertising the Micra as a UK EDC legal tool, it is not.
How come?
What's not legal about it.... aside from the general catch-all of ANY item whatsoever for which you reason to have upon your person, if a cop having a bad day so decides?

Tasky":3tucpe1l said:
Rorschach":3tucpe1l said:
How come?
What's not legal about it.... aside from the general catch-all of ANY item whatsoever for which you reason to have upon your person, if a cop having a bad day so decides?

It's a legal grey area, the blade is sub 3" and folding, but because the handle closes up and stops the blade being fully folded it falls fouls of J. Mcowan's decision in Harris v DPP 1993 where he stated:
"To be a folding pocketknife the knife has to be readily and indeed immediately foldable at all times, simply by the folding process"

It's never been tested in court but I (and many others, including legal professors) believe that it would not pass this test and should therefore not be advertised as UK EDC legal.

I've always wondered where I stand with my work knife:

cg7OGb2.jpg

Opens with a flick of the hand which is gravity assisted so does that mean it's outright illegal to even own? Or does it fall under a different category since it isn't technically a "blade" as such? They've been selling them for a long time in this country so I assume if nobody's made a fuss by this point they must be OK to some degree?

The laws really aren't clear enough, they say a blade less than 3 inch in length is OK but I've heard of people being arrested for little swiss army knives and similar.

Trevanion":3ah8d6gy said:
I've always wondered where I stand with my work knife:

cg7OGb2.jpg

Opens with a flick of the hand which is gravity assisted so does that mean it's outright illegal to even own? Or does it fall under a different category since it isn't technically a "blade" as such? They've been selling them for a long time in this country so I assume if nobody's made a fuss by this point they must be OK to some degree?

The laws really aren't clear enough, they say a blade less than 3 inch in length is OK but I've heard of people being arrested for little swiss army knives and similar.

It's a tricky one and totally depends on the Judge and their interpretation. At it's most basic it is a locking knife, so you need a good reason to carry it. Since it's a stanley type, a good reason is simply "I am using it for work" and that will be fine, it's a ubiquitous tool.
The opening method though could get you in trouble if someone really wanted to. I could easily see it can be argued it is a gravity knife, so you take your (very low) chances carrying it.

A similar problem exists with the Stanley folding chisel I own. It's a chisel, common tool, if you are doing DIY or a tradesman no police officer is going to bat an eyelid. Under a technical definition of the law though, it's a butterfly knife pure and simple and I have been advised by a Police officer to be a bit careful about where I use it. No problem using it in his house to do work for him though :lol:

A vote for leatherman, I always had a wave but recently got a surge which is really great!
My 3rd one!! As there very attractive to tea leaves it seems!! I'm a carpenter by trade so it's very rarely not attached to my belt and not many a day goes past where it's not used in some way!

The knife edge tends to form a wire edge quite quickley but even with that still fairly sharp, it also allows you to use a jigsaw blade in the saw blade holder and should come with a file bit that can be put in the same holder. A belt clip can be bought separately.

It has replaceable wire cutter teeth and a lifetime warranty or 25 year!

If you need a razor sharp knife that you use every day just for cutting things then a Stanley blade holder type knife is probably the way to go, as there cheap to maintain and never need sharpening!

Adidat

FWIW if anyone ever comes across a Stanley knife blade handle that would be classed as UK EDC legal, please let me know. Best I have found so far is a holder for a single edge razor blade but that's not really that useful I don't think.

closest "stanley" that would possibly be classed as an EDC is the fat max retractable that has a non locking, sliding blade, you squeeze the handle to extend the blade, when you let go the blade retracts. we had something similar at a store I worked which had a side sliding button that didn't lock. more of a hindrance than a help.

spyderco gets my vote for an EDC you can buy easy enough although my best EDC is a cheap as chips one from a steam fair, holds a wicked edge and is teeny tiny, bit hard to find you one though. also look for a higo no kami, which is a Japanese friction folder, normally even the cheap ones are great.

Oh yes I have had one of those before. They are superb if you work in a warehouse or something and open a lot of boxes, very safe you can use it and throw it right back into your pocket, excellent in the right situation. Sadly, too large for EDC in your trouser pocket.

Back