table shine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildewood

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

I have a large piece of beautiful Elm which i'm finishing i want to keep the 'just oiled' shine & lustre'
without varnishing which i can not do without dust getting on the surface before it dries.
any oils, waxes or ecommendations please?
cheers WW

If you want that look and that amount of gloss WW I think the ideal way is to use varnish.

wildewood":2nsmwlkh said:
...without varnishing which i can not do without dust getting on the surface before it dries.
Good news, you can. Any oil-based varnish can be diluted to turn it into what's called wiping varnish (which you can wipe on but it doesn't have to be applied that way) and here's the key bit, wipe off the excess.

It builds up much slower when used in this way but it's very user-friendly in a number of ways, including if you have a dust problem. Because there's so little varnish left on the surface the dust can barely stick in place, certainly nothing you can't remove with one or two swipes of fine abrasive paper, steel wool or the synthetic equivalent. You can even use the rough side of brown paper to de-nib!

There are other finishes that can give really great gloss, including shellac and lacquer, but doing it with varnish is arguably the easiest and although not the fastest most of the time it takes is hands-off waiting time. You can also do this with polymerised tung oil but in addition to not being cheap (understatement) it's the slowest option of these, and then isn't as durable as varnish which is cheap.

thanx for taking time to reply - i have pondered the shellac & i will have a go - I also will try the thinned oil varnish - thanx again WW

If all else fails a couple of coats of a hard wax will still deliver you a decent shine for not much effort, cost, or complexity.

Wax-Test-09-Carn-Hrd-Wx.jpg

For a surface that needs more protection you can have a more robust undercoat and just use the hard wax for some surface bling!

Attachments

• Wax-Test-09-Carn-Hrd-Wx.jpg
    Wax-Test-09-Carn-Hrd-Wx.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 464
Back