Coopered conical waste paper bins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
These have been keeping me out of mischief recently.

Coopered Bin project 011.jpg

These include the prototype made in mdf and painted, one in ash stained medium oak and a couple made from workshop offcuts of oak, ABW etc

Coopered Bin project 031.jpg

These are made from zebrano

Guess what santa might be bringing friends and relatives next month? :D

Attachments

• Coopered Bin project 011.jpg
    Coopered Bin project 011.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 707
  • Coopered Bin project 031.jpg
    Coopered Bin project 031.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 707
interesting I was thinking of making the same thing from some off cuts, how difficult is it on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being the hardest.

I would say it is quite a challenge and it is essential to machine parts. The chamfer angles need to be correct to fraction of a degree.
I would suggest making a prototype to shake down your methods and way of working. A high degree of attention to detail and process is important for gap free joints
A solid precision table saw I would say is essential and a band saw for re-sawing depending on the sizes of your scrap. A thickness sander is very useful to get all your staves the same thickness.
I have written it up on Woodhaven2 with details of the arithmetic and the jigs so you can see it here.
http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... =19&t=3709
If you would be making these to sell, then the investment in making the jigs will pay dividends and you will be able to knock them out quite quickly.
Hope this helps

so using handtools would knock it up a notch or two in terms of difficulty? thanks for the detailed link though, some good info there.

I reckon relying on hand tools alone would make it nigh on impossible. Making 16 identical parts with fractional degree angular accuracy in two dimensions would be just too hard/time consuming/scrap creating!

Thanks for this and the link to the build thread, I really like the look of those. I'm tempted to have a go although I think I might need several practise runs first.

Yes do give it a go with some 6mm or 9mm mdf and get a feel for the method without spending out a fortune on wood. I've ended up keeping my mdf one painted to cover a few cockups to use in the home office.
I found it very satisfying when they start turning out nicely.

Superb work!

They're all great but personally I think the Zebrano versions look incredibly cool and contemporary.

Latest posts

Back