Size of workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard65

Reaction score
I am planning to build a mobile workbench to move it to the middle of the workshop when in use. I am thinking of making the size 2.5 m long by 1.4 w.

Space is not an issue and I am happy with the weight of it to move it around but I wanted to got your views on whether it will be just too big?

Thanks

The width of traditional benches is such that you can reach the other side easily (~ 60cm).
If your bench is going to be used also for assembly or as an outfeed table, you should make it as wide as necessary.
No-one will report you to the workbench police. :)

I personally like workbenches that work from having a 8x4 sheet of plywood on top, I think it's the ideal surface as it's easy to reach to the other side and you don't have to worry about looking after the top as you can replace it once it goes a little too ropey to use anymore. Absolute best workbench I've used was a 14x4 bench which was 6ft of traditional woodworking bench with vices etc and the rest was setup with leveled battens for gluing doors, casements, frames etc and when not in use you could slap a piece of plywood on top of the battens for more surface area to work on.

There are workbench police, who knew lol??? :shock:

Thanks. I like the idea of having the top made of ply board which can easily be replaced from time to time.

I think the paul sellers workbench is hard to beat design wise, I made mine to 5 bhe 2 foot and it's good enough for me, I don't care much about the top getting damaged though, used high quality redwood pine and it's still going strong.

thetyreman":2o3lp26j said:
I think the paul sellers workbench is hard to beat design wise
I agree - Mine was made as a combination of the old version and the new, sized to 8' x 3' and 40" high.
Nicholson Style bench, I think it is...?
Certainly has lots of room to both customise the size, and create your own add-ons like shelves and cupboards.

So yeah, whatever works best for you and your working environment, Richard65.
Just be sure it's heavy enough to take the forces you'll be applying to it!

also will you need a tool well? something to think about, I find it useful but I know not everyone's a fan

thetyreman":3jlyd8ma said:
also will you need a tool well? something to think about, I find it useful but I know not everyone's a fan

Tool wells are definitely marmite. Had on one my last bench, don't miss it on my new bench.

I had a 10x3 for years and always thought an extra foot for width would be good. My new bench is 10 x 4 and I've never been happier. How I wish I'd had a tail vice 10 years sooner !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back