Puzzle Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandyMat

Reaction score
I wonder if someone can help? I'm cutting puzzles out of 20mm oak and beech. The problem is that the pieces are OK coming out of the top of the cut but get stuck coming out of the bottom.

I've made sure the blade is perpendicular side to side using a block of wood, making a cut, turning it round and making sure it fits back into the cut.

I've noticed that the blade isn't perpendicular front to back, does this make a difference?

I'm using a Hegner Multicut 2 scroll saw.

Any help and advice gratefully received!

Many thanks, Sandy

Hi

Yes the blade has to be vertical in all directions also as you turn the corner in the cut you must be very careful not to bow the blade in any direction it takes a bit of practice in the harder woods . Try not to push the cuts to hard that often results in bowing of the blade
Martyn

You probably don't realise it but it sounds like you're putting on side pressure when cutting, which makes the blade cut at an angle, slow down and let the blade do its job

Thanks for your comments. Just cut a squirrel puzzle. Changed from a Niqua blade to a Pegas #5 (which I prefer), checked the tension, slowed down and was careful not to put side pressure on the blade. Puzzle fits well both ways. Will have to keep practicing and be careful.

I struggle with the top blade clamp on my Hegner, I use the Quick Clamp which I purchased from Hegner. Sometimes the blade goes in easily and sometimes it takes a while to get it in and I'm never sure it is seated correctly. For this reason I'm sure that at least some of the time the blade isn't at 90degrees to the table in the front/back orientation. Any suggestions how I solve this? Is there a better/easier clamp to use for this saw?

Back