Recommend me a wood filler for use on an ash floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adt

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the middle of laying a new ash floor in our house and have come to the point where I need to start filling in small gaps between the boards and some of the screw head holes where I've had to face fix the boards. I'm going to be finishing the floor with some Osmo Polyx oil when it's all done (probably a coat of Raw followed by a coat of clear matt) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with fillers which will happily take this finish.

At the minute the most likely candidate that I've found for the job would be Osmo's Wood filler but this only seems to be available in fairly small tubs and there isn't a direct colour match option for ash so it would potentially need some experimentation to find out which would be the closest to the colour of the boards as they have gone down (white oak, pine and natural clear seem the most likely fit).

Osmo Wood Filler

Thanks,

Andrew.

I probably would use a bit of cascamite with ash dust mixed into it, works well for most things so long as you're not filling massive holes with it.

It may be a bit late, but for screw heads, I used a screwdigger which drills pilot hole, clearance and counterbore in one go, and comes with a matching plug cutter to cover the head. Looks better than filler IMHO. Tonguetite screws where possible avoid needing to do this too often.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I’ve not got much in the way of saw dust from the floor yet so can’t easily try mixing up some filler from cascamite. So, I’ve irdered a few different tints of filler to try out for now but could give that a go later on if they don’t work out.

I’ve been using toungtite screws to put the boards down so most of them don’t have any visible fixings, just a few rows near the walls to sort out. The holes the leave seem small enough that they (hopefully) won’t be too noticeable with a spot of something in them.

I don't know why, but you can get away with far cruder filling on a floor than on furniture. It's almost as if the eye applies different standards, look carefully at the wooden flooring in commercial properties and you'll suddenly see loads of not very accurate filling, often just grey epoxy, but before looking you were totally oblivious of it!

So don't sweat this, and go for tough fillers rather than an exact match.

Back