Aldi scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure welding them in position is such a good idea, what happens when or if one breaks or wears, bolting on would be better IMHO

Agreed, I certainly would not weld them if it was me. And what are the arms of this saw made of anyway? If it's like several other similar saws, including my older model Einhell, the arms are made of die cast "monkey metal", so if you tried to weld those they'd more than likely just melt!

If you're going that route I'd strongly suggest bolting them on, like the Axminster clamps posted earlier.

Many thanks, you are right, welding could be a little drastic. I was not aware the fittings from Axminster can be bolted on....can the pinless blades be changed as quickly as the pinned ones with Axminster clamps? thanks, Gino

Personally I dunno Drifter. In the past, when I was trying to get my Einhell saw to work "properly", I did have a pair of those Axi clamps, which I fitted to the saw "somehow" (bolting I think) but I forget what mods I actually did, and the saw (with the clamps) has now been passed on to a lady friend of my wife and is about 200 Km away, sorry.

But if you can weld, have the kit, etc, it sounds like you're quite "handy" in a metal workshop, so you'll work something out! Sorry, I really have forgotten what I did, it's over 4 years ago now.

If you check the picture of them I posted previously, you unbolt the one thats fitted and using the same bolt, using the smaller of the holes in the figure of eight in the clamp, bolt it in the same position (hook down if you will) I have seen them fitted with the previous tin plate clamp inverted on top, presumably to allow a little more spring from the larger hole when clamping blades

The supplied allen key bolt is used to clamp the pinless blade holding it

Nothing will be as quick as a pinned blade to fit but its just a matter of undoing the allen key bolt, fitting the blade and retightening

The allen key bolt could be replaced with a wing bolt which would speed things up

If going down that route, I would advocate cleaning up between the clamping surfaces to make them as flat and paint free as possible, when clamping a pinless blade you shouldn't need to be to brutal, just enough to hold it in place

With new pinless blades, I always prepare each one before fitting by sandpapering across the blade 1/2" or so at each end on both sides, it removes the factory finish and the clamp will grip them better

Generally the bottom of the blade remains clamped, and to put the blade through a small pilot hole in the work piece undo the top clamp, feed the blade through and reclamp, re-set the tension and away you go

Drifter":1e11vu71 said:
Many thanks, you are right, welding could be a little drastic. I was not aware the fittings from Axminster can be bolted on....can the pinless blades be changed as quickly as the pinned ones with Axminster clamps? thanks, Gino

Hi,
Could this help for the blade clamp, it worked for me.
Bob H.

Attachments

• img294.jpg
    img294.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 340
the bolts in the wrong place but other than that, that's what my clamps look like too, which meant I could put a rod through the hole that attaches to the arm of the saw to hold the clamps in place.

Back