Roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
1) Can anyone advise if I need a small tie near the top of where each rafter pair meets? Pitch is 22° and 4.4m wide.

2) What's the correct way of securing the 8" joist to the bottom of the 6" rafters?

IMG_20181111_132750-800x600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_132750-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20181111_132750-800x600.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 182
I don't think you need a collar tie but it would do no harm,as for fixing the rafters to the joists you could use nails but my preference would be a couple of Coach bolts at each joint the joists can be fixed to the wall plate using skew nails from each side.Hope this helps.Regards Kevin.

Not coach bolts, which are actually just a huge screw with a hex head, but ordinary bolts (or threaded rod)........otherwise Kevin's answer is fine. You only need one bolt at each end of the joist, where the centreline of the joist meets the centreline of the rafter. You don't need a collar tie unless your ridge is so twisted that you haven't been able to get decent fixings from the rafters into it.

Yes coach bolts are what you need the reason I would use two is to help prevent any twisting of the joists or rafters and for the extra cost I prefer the belt and braces approach.As was suggested you don't want to use Coach screws for this job.Best regards Kevin.

Nailing is just fine,Millions of uk roofs are just nailed on and have stood for hundred years plus.Good 4 inch nails

Back