Hedgehog house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I discovered a cold, spikey refugee hiding behind my parents shed a week ago so knocked this up for him/her.

Bit of a fun, quick and dirty make-it-up-as-you-go-along build, didn't use any glue, apparently they don't like the smell.

I might have over-engineered it a tad, it's huge this thing, might even fit a badger in there ;-)

uf9uxen.jpg

kBDiBCY.jpg

After these were taken I added a window and flap so my folks can test if they have a resident hog without taking roof off and disturbing it.

sZxNZ6K.jpg

iBdVB4C.jpg

This was 2nd attempt at doing door, first version swung down from top but I couldn't fit roof on after I installed it...oops!

qlmTMQ7.jpg

ua1TZl2.jpg

LU8Dst0.jpg

Roof removed, lined with paper and some really whiffy we cat food.

Talk about spoiled. That's bigge than my house!

Very nice. I'm sure they'll love it. Needs much bedding though.

Let us know when they move in. Also, install a webcam :)

MikeG.":2njpbovc said:
Nice, Oscar, but if I put one of those out around here rats would move in.

Cheers Mike, I tried to make a "proper" roof with miniature rafters with bird's mouth cut outs etc

36RzjS3.jpg

I've been reading your build threads, like to build a proper shed one day, thought I'd consider this a miniature practice model. Sadly after this pic was taken it all went horribly wrong and ended up with a right wonky effort, hopefully the hog won't mind. ;)

I'm hoping I can keep the cats out, the opening of tunnel is about 15 x 14 cm, hoping a pussy cat won't get through there!

ScaredyCat":39f1fttm said:
Talk about spoiled. That's bigge than my house!

Very nice. I'm sure they'll love it. Needs much bedding though.

Let us know when they move in. Also, install a webcam :)

Cheers!

Yeah it's almost as big as my flat too ;)

It's about 1m front to back. It was too big to fit into my intended space which was a blessing in disguise as apparently the entrance tunnel isn't supposed to be facing north. Got a nice south west facing entrance now.

It hasn't got any preservative on it (worried about smell) so I'm half expecting this to rot, but hopefully it'll get through the winter.

Hmm great idea about the webcam, I'll have a look into that!

I can't see what stops all that grass, straw etc piled up from simply blowing away?

Only way I can see that working is if the house is sunk into the ground like a hobbit hole.... quite like the sound of that actually.

Wow that is some hedgehog abode, well done =D>

Maybe keep it quiet from the local authority because you probably needed planning permission and building regulations approvals and it could push you into a higher council tax bracket :lol:

Regards Keith

Update...

Had a visitor!

JAuTXKe.jpg

The catfood's gone (we've now replaced with dry catfood), and the bowl has been moved, there's muddy footprints in the entrance (no respect these animals!) , the bedding has been moved from the corners (guess I did need more as someone suggested) and hard to see it from this pic, there's a depression in the bedding where something hedgehog sized has been lying down.

Think I've got a hog, either that or a big rat!

I'm so chuffed one's moved in, with the sudden drop in temps, looks like I made it just in time.

With ref to the hedgehogs not getting eaten: I saw a picture of a German design made out of some sort of ceramic material where the entrance tunnel had a fairly tight S-bend which would never be a problem for a hedgehog but which was intended to be a bit of a poser for foxes. You could consider putting a couple of baffles in the entrance tunnel (perhaps even slightly angled) to achieve that effect.

OscarG":1tt96gf0 said:
Bit of an update....

Don't know if this video will work but say hello to my little friend :wink:

Is there a back door, I just watched this for 2 hrs, he just walks out the front door, goes off screen and then comes out the door again, surprised he didn't get bored going round and round.

My next door neighbour had hedgehogs move into their compost heap, within a few days there was no more slug problems, either in their garden or in the three or four gardens around. Brilliant little critters!

Sadly the hog isn’t alone, there’s other parties showing interest in the house :wink:

Really happy with the camera, these pics were taken on low quality 5 megapixels but it goes up to 14 M and full HD video too.

For £40 this is a great piece of kit >

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3011957467

Attachments

• 8A5F8509-1F5D-4741-8FA5-C4758622694C.jpeg
    8A5F8509-1F5D-4741-8FA5-C4758622694C.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 608
Just seen this thread - what a nice man you are to make such a stately home for the hedgehogs.

I know we have hedgehogs living in our monster pampas grass (it's BIG, base is maybe 20 feet around) as I've seen them coming and going, and I've seen them on our deck a few times.

sIjvESF.jpg

I've been planning to make a huge raised planter and now I'm going to make one section a buried hog home as per the link but with a viewing port - and I'll have to make a little walkway up to the planting area.

They are funny little pippers!

Last inspection of the camera shows no hog sightings, I hope that means it's inside, sleeping.

Hope you post some pics when you build that Rafezetter. My viewing window doesn't really work, little sod piled his bedding up against window, can't see a thing!

Back