Where can I get a 100mm self adhesive vertical metric rule?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the scales on a pottery slab roller. There is one on each side, they are very flimsy label types and have worn considerably. They need to measure around 10cm, and read from bottom to top, and it would be better if they were only scaled in whole millimetres.

Any one know where I can get one from? So far the only site I've found has been in India, though it's possible that I'm not using the correct search terms.

ScaredyCat, that would be perfect if it was vertical. I can't seem to find a vertical one on the Kreg site, seems strange they don't make one when they have al the other varieties.

Unless accuracy is critical, could you print something out from your PC and then put through a hot laminator or use "sticky backed plastic" ?
Or put a paper scale behind a thin strip of perspex or acrylic.
Scales on a lot of machinery are for "indication" as parallax error etc means that they can't be read that accurately in the first place. The few percent error that will arise when you print out a scale may not be significant.

heatherw - would Item 29 on the following page be suitable. It's the vertical scale on a DeWalt thicknesser but other makes would have a similar scale.
Code:
https://www.toolsandpartsdirect.co.uk/spare-parts/dewalt-spare-parts/planer-spare-parts/planer-thicknesser-spare-parts/dw1161-planer-thicknesser-type-1
Good luck,
skelph

loftyhermes":2342lr7l said:
Thicknessers and pillar drills have a vertical scale, try looking for spares for one of those.
skelph":2342lr7l said:
heatherw - would Item 29 on the following page be suitable. It's the vertical scale on a DeWalt thicknesser but other makes would have a similar scale.

The only problem with the thicknesser scales is that they read from top to bottom, what they want is from bottom to top. If you put one of those scales on you would be reading it upside down, which would be worse than sideways.

These might work for you, Albeit it's in America and they don't ship to the UK and it's 1m long: https://www.amazon.com/Ruler-Adhesive-Backed-Vertical-Metric/dp/B00KO9VU4M

You might have better luck contacting the company (Oregon Rule Company) directly and asking whether they would send one to the UK, It would possibly cost you an arm and a leg though.

You might be best looking for somebody who does vinyl/sticker cutting and ask whether they would make a scale for you, It might cost a bit more but at least you wouldn't have to pay shipping + import charges.

Trevanion, my Makita reads bottom to top, 0 to 150mm

Attachments

• 2018-11-09_2049.png
    2018-11-09_2049.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 115
loftyhermes":2rvqb3e1 said:
Trevanion, my Makita reads bottom to top, 0 to 150mm

I had forgotten those little lunchbox planers existed #-o, the scale from that would work fine more than likely.

Ahhh, I knew you lot would come up with some answers! I hadn't thought of a planer thicknesser scale and those look perfect!
The problem with the thin stainless steel rules which were my first thought is that they tend to have the first 10mm in half millimetres and as that is the part that we use the most, we'd need to be using head torches. We really don't need to be that accurate, it's more about repeatability.
I had ruled out the States cos of their obsession with inches, and as you say the Oregon Rule Company will probably charge 30 quid for packing, and then there's import duty. The article seems to be ideal, thin, self adhesive and durable. I'll see what they say.
Thank you everyone, I've got much more idea about where to look now.

Heather, if it's about repeatability and not knowing what machine you use but could you not use something like a gauge or slip block to set the machine.

Richter ones are available in the UK BUT £24.99 for a 2mtr rule & £35 for 3mtrs :shock:

Where do you find these things? I spent ages looking on Ebay!

That also looks as though it would fit the bill Deadeye, and more affordable than the Richter ones....

Back